Chapter 1: McDonald's Guy

Erika
The sound of an alarm blaring woke me up from my comfortable sleep. I opened my eyes only to flinch from the rising sun coming through my window and into my eyes. Turning onto my side, I turned off the alarm clock on my phone before opening Instagram. 2.3 million followers. After scrolling for a few minutes and liking a few pictures along the way, I finally decided I had to get up.

I turned on the TV in my room. I tuned into the local news, having it play in the background as I got ready for school.

Today will be a particularly cooler day in Florida as it will throughout the morning all the way into the late afternoon. It will remain cloudy for the rest of the day, but don't worry because the sun will be out all day tomorrow. The high today will be 66° and the low 60°.

Time to break out the boots. I went into my unnecessarily large walk-in closet. After I chose a white tank top, a yellow blazer and a pair of black skinny jeans along with a pair of black knee-high heeled boots, I was ready. First day of school, got to make an impression.

I sat down at my vanity where I proceeded to do my makeup and hair, tying my hair to the top of my head in a high ponytail. Settling on the mediocre look, I went downstairs.

I walked down to the kitchen where my uncle Terry was at the table, sipping his coffee. The stress from years of work were evident on his face, but he still looked young for his age of 42. He married my aunt about twenty years ago and they were both still happily married. They never had any children of their own so when they moved in with us a couple of years ago, they became my stand-in parents. His black hair may have strands of gray, but his brown eyes still lit up whenever he saw my aunt.

"Morning, Terry." I said and I kissed the top of his head. "What's for breakfast?"

"Mary made some pancakes. Are you staying or are you getting something on the way?" Mary was the maid of the house. She was my nanny when I was little and we made many memories together.

"I'll pick up something on the way."

I grabbed my car keys and headed to the garage. "I'm leaving!"

I got into my white BMW and started it, loving the satisfying hum that erupted from the car. I backed out for the garage and around the circular driveway and into oncoming traffic and turned on the radio. Loud music blared out of the speakers and I turned it off quickly.

"Fuck that."

I pulled out my phone and plugged it into the car. I opened Spotify and shuffled my Starred playlist. Transviolet's "New Bohemia" blasted out and I nodded my head to the music.

I drove into the McDonald's and after seeing the drive-thru, I figured it would be best to just park and wait on line. Inside the restaurant, I ordered a bacon McGriddle and a breakfast burrito for Blair. I stepped away from the counter, so someone else can order. I didn't want to be that asshole who just stands at the counter, blocking everyone else.
I was scrolling through Instagram, and someone tapped on my shoulder.

"Are you.. are you... Erika Kingsley?"

"Why yes, yes I am," I confirmed, sliding on the mask.

"I love you! Can I have a picture?!" said the teenage girl.

"Sure," I said in a tight-lipped smile. She took out her phone and we took a selfie.

"Thanks!" She said, walking away. However, more people started to come over asking for pictures. Soon the entire restaurant was crowded around me, asking for a picture.  After about five minutes, my eyes were hurting from flash and everyone settled back into their seats. However, I noticed one guy that didn't get up to take a photo. He sat in the corner of the restaurant, the back of his head facing me. From what I could make out, he had brown hair and a tallish build. I shook my head and grabbed my food and left the establishment. I pushed the stranger out of my head as I pulled up to Blair's house a few minutes later.

I was waiting outside of Blair's house. I looked at my watch. I honked my horn a couple more times before she finally walked out of the house and got into the car.

"Took you long enough," I said, jokingly.

"What can I say? I'm fashionably late," she said. I gave her the burrito and sped in the direction of the school.
____________________________________________________________________________
"I can't believe I got Mr. Ferguson for AP Government! He's the worst!" Blair said.

"It could be worse."

"How?"

"I don't know. I never expected you answer."

"Ugh! School is the worst! My life is over!" She yelled, sticking her head into her locker.

"From what I can tell, it still seems your heart and brain are fully functional," I smirked.

"Okay, Okay, Ms. Sarcasm. You've made your point." She said, pulling her head out. "Anyway, what class do you have next?"

"Uhh.." I checked my phone and groaned. "Psychology, ugh."

"Good luck with that."

"I know, right?"

And the bell rang, alerting the students of their next class.

"Better get moving, it's on the other side of the school!"

"Shit! Bye!" I yelled, before sprinting in the other direction. When I was almost there, I ran into the back of a hard body.

"Fuck," I whispered, rubbing my head. The figure turned around and look at me.

"Watch where you're going, okay?" And he walked off. I looked at the back of his head and remembered.

The guy from McDonald's.