Another Life

I woke up to find Nat sat bolt upright in bed, just watching me. "How long have you been there?" I asked her. She shrugged and said, "About ten minutes." I sat up and lent against my pillows. "What's wrong? You're never up before me." Nat sighed and lay down beside me. "Can I ask you something?" I nodded and stroked her forehead. She was really worrying me.

"Why did you join the army? I mean, when and why and how long were you there? And why do you work for Nick when you obviously have the skills to work anywhere else?" I laughed and her ramblings and she apologised. "Don't be sorry; they're fair questions. I didn't know what to do when I left school so I joined the army like my Dad had before me. I was there for about five years and the last two years I've worked for Nick. He knew my Dad and was there when he died so he took me under his wing and looked after me. I can't bring myself to leave because he can't cope on his own."

Nat put her arms around me and held me tight. "You're such a loyal person Maria. How did someone like me get someone like you?" Trying to hold back the tears, I kissed Nat slowly. I'd had a fairly blissful life compared to her, but she always put on a brave face. "Because you're special and don't let anyone tell you different, ok?" I said. She nodded reluctantly and we lay there in the bed for while as the sun shone through the gap in the curtains.

"I've got an idea," I said suddenly. Nat gave me a puzzled look and I explained. "Bruce is blatantly jealous and needs someone else to focus on rather than you. Then your brother Clint needs the same. Why don't we invite them over tomorrow evening for dinner? Maybe we can get to the bottom of this and then you guys can get along better?" Nat blinked  couple of times before throwing her arms around my neck, hugging me.

"That's a brilliant idea! I'll text them both now. Are you sure you don't mind Clint coming here though? If there's anything to drink or smash, he'll find it." She trailed off, embarrassed. I put my hand to the side of her face and smiled at her beautiful eyes. "Of course I don't mind. I want you to be happy." 

A/N: Sorry for the late update folks. Creds to @demididdy for coming up with the core inspiration for this chapter. Let me know what you think down below and Happy Reading :)