Moving On

An hour of conversation went by in what felt like forever. Bruce and Tony excused themselves and went somewhere else in the flat whist Nat and I sat witness to the world's most awkward conversation. Taking it in turns to talk, Clint and Pepper finally told each other how they felt and why. To be honest, I felt like crying alongside Pepper at the things they admitted. The entire time Nat held on tight to my hand. It made me wonder if we would ever get married. Would we fight like that? Would we even work?

"I didn't know what to say to you. It was like you needed to be alone so I left you to your own thoughts. I didn't realise how hard it was talking to you again, even just asking what we should have for dinner. I'm so, so sorry Pepper." Clint concluded. The red-headed woman sighed and pulled Clint's head to her chest. She stroked his hair and kissed his forehead. I looked at Nat, pulling her towards the kitchen so Pepper and Clint could be alone. I had no idea where Bruce had gone with Tony, but I wasn't sure I really wanted to know.

"Am I the only one that feels awkward here?" Nat said giggling to herself. I laughed with her and said, "No, I feel awkward as well. At least it looks like Pepper wants Clint back?" Nat nodded her head slowly and bit her lip. "What's wrong?" I put my hands around her waist but she refused to look at me. "It's just that now Clint wants to get better, I should probably go home. You know, to look after him." I couldn't help but feel slightly hurt.

"I've got the feeling there's something extra involved. Tell me." She rolled her eyes and sighed, pulling away from my arms. "I've been given the chance to produce one of my songs with the promise of a contract if it's good enough." This confused me no end. Why not tell me? When did she get the offer? I decided to stay nice and ignore the pain of her hiding it from me. "That's great news Nat! I don't get why you're acting like this though. Have I done something wrong?" With no emotion, she sang the most beautiful song with the most terrible meaning.

"And I will swallow my pride. You're the one that I love, and I'm saying goodbye."

A/N: Ouch! </3 Sorry this is so short, but I'll be updating soon. Hope you like it :) Happy Reading! :3