Chapter 7

Cameron drove us home fell asleep together on the couch. The doctors said that Gray was in good enough condition to go home, but I kinda wish he could've stayed at the hospital one more night just to make sure. I ended up waking up at around 12 PM to the sound of Grayson's beaten up voice. I tiredly sit and rub my eyes.

"Good morning babe," he manages to let out. I can tell it pains him to speak, but he tries to hide it.

"Technically, it's afternoon," I respond, a smile forming on my face.

"Whatever," he adds before kissing my cheek. His sharp jawline is painfully red and his neck is covered in bruises. He reclines back against the couch and slowly strokes his hair while watching the ceiling.

"I'm so sorry, it should've been me," I finally say. I feel horrible seeing Grayson go through so much pain because of my dad. I hate my dad more than any other person you could imagine.

"No Skylar, it's okay. The last thing I want is for you to be hurt. I..." he begins to speak, but is interrupted by a pounding noise at the door. He turns his head to the door, and looks back at over at me. Another loud knock reflected from the door to my ears. I stand up, and walk meticulously to the door. I twist the door knob, and find two cops standing at the door.

"Are you Skylar Olivia James?" The male cop asks. I nod my head wordlessly and look outside to see a police car. "Is Grayson Bailey Dolan with you?" I point to Grayson, who's gradually rising from the couch. "Okay, we need you both to come down to the police station and tell us everything you know about Mr. James. You shouldn't be there for too long." With that, Grayson and I saunter to the cop. I feel Grayson's hand contact mine, and our fingers interlock. I peer up at him and see his beautiful brown eyes staring into mine.

"I love you," he says.

"I love you too," I reply.

We enter the tiny police car. I buckle up frantically, trying not too think much. Back in elementary school, instead of doing work, I just look off into space and think about random things. I never really interacted that much with anyone else, I just stayed by myself and thought things instead of say them. I miss school though. A lot of people hate it, but it gives you something to do at least. I mean, yeah it's boring. But it's better than sitting out on the streets... I remember my first day of being a hopeless derelict. My landlord literally forced me out the house when the bills were continuously unpaid. My mom had died, and my dad wouldn't have done it even if he did live with us, and I didn't have a job. I tried to get a job but no one would want me. The first place I applied for was McDonald's. During my interview, I was a nervous wreck and answered all my questions with an "uhhh" before them. I didn't know how to act during interviews, no one was there to teach me. And I had no interest in a job before my mom's death. I just relied on her to always be there and make sure that everything was perfect. But I learned that you can't rely on people like that. When I was physically kicked out my home, it was the second most devastating day of my life. The first was when I found out about my mom's death. I just want to let her know that I love her so much and that I don't really hate her like she thinks I do. We used to fight all the time because of the smallest things. She never started the fight, it was always me. I didn't appreciate her enough, and I just overall treated her terribly. I would lock the door to my room and pretend she didn't exist, or talk back, or lash out at her for no reason. One day, I guess she just cracked. My family says that her car crash was an accident, but I believe it was completely my fault. She wanted to get away from me, and she did.

"Whatcha thinking about?" Grayson questioned with a slight smile. I clicked back into reality, finally realizing I let my thoughts take over again.

"My mom," I replied taking a deep breath. The smile on his face faded. He knows the story and it seems like it hurts him as much as it hurts me.

"I'm sorry," he mellowed quietly. I shook my head as if to say "it's okay," but I don't want to speak right now. A moment later, the car came to a stop. I eyes the large police station and my heart begins to pump.

I'm sorry I took forever to update. But I'm updating again tomorrow<3
-Danielle❤️