Thirty-One.

Now Playing... Close As Strangers

The ache in my heart made itself more apparent as each day passed. There was a Wes shaped hole right in the center, and I never knew just how much you could miss someone until they weren't in your grasp anymore. No matter where we stood or what had happened, he was still my first best friend... my first love.

Every morning I woke up, I hoped to find myself face to face with him, his soft, warm breaths fanning against my face, his arm draped over my stomach, but he was never there, and everything grew cold without him.

On the way to class, Mikayla stopped me, worry evident in her eyes. "I'm so sorry about Wes. I haven't heard from him in a week."

"You're joking, right?" I raised my eyebrows in confusion. "I thought he was with you."

"Him and I are just friends. His heart belongs to someone else."

My heart dropped in my chest. "W-What..?"

She sighed, smiling sadly at me. "I think you need to read the letter."

***

Journal Project- Final Project

Title: To The Boy I've Always Loved

It was six weeks since you had left. And although you promised nothing would change, everything was unfamiliar to me. I was afraid I was losing you. Every night without you took away my breath, as if you were my only source of oxygen, and when I thought of you over there, experiencing the world without me, forgetting me... no matter how proud I was, it killed me. It broke my heart because I could feel you forgetting me. I wish you were there, next to me, your bright smile and beautiful green eyes right in front of me, your warm arms holding me like you always did, taking away every pain and worry that wreaked havoc on my mind. Everyday that passed made it feel like you were a little bit further away, and no amount of words could ever describe how it felt without you there. I didn't want to face the truth. If all we were doing was wasting time, sitting on the sides of our broken line, then I would have never worried about time again, if it meant you were still there on the other side, waiting for me like I waited for you. When had we become strangers? When had you finally decided I wasn't worth the wait? No matter how much it hurt, I couldn't give up if it meant there was a chance of the you I know coming back to me. Maybe you thought our time had run out, but I think you also knew that I would always be there, waiting for you as if you had never left in the first place. As more time passed, I knew you were moving on, I knew my part in your story was coming to its end, and I wished you had never left. There was so many days I wanted to pick up the phone, hear your voice again and tell you what I had always known I felt towards you, but I knew you didn't want to hear it, so I hung up the phone and sat at my place by the window, patiently waiting. But you never came home. It's been three years since you went away, and everything has changed. Maybe tomorrow you'll come home, but until then, I have to keep the love I have for you stored away, tucked safely in your place in my heart.