Chapter three

We've been walking in the forest for days... Niklaus still tries to regain his powers but, nothing is coming out. It must've the powdered dried herbs that uncle Daulton threw at him and was inhaled. My hand is a bit okay now, the wound was deep but I'm lucky I have the royal blood of a Fay. It's healing me fast...

"Great!" he punched the nearest tree "I'm powerless!" his fist was shaking with anger

"The herbs will soon be out of your system..." I rub his back "you'll have your power back..." I smile

"You don't understand!" he walks a few steps away from me and looks back "It's been a day that I don't have my powers, soon it will be full moon and I won't have the chance to do the ritual." He bit his lip "When will be the next full moon, huh?" he shook his head "We don't have enough time, Zarina..." he walk towards me "We have to bring Rebekkah back!"

"We will..." I shrugged my shoulders "We just have to go to the place where we'll do the ritual, and wait for your powers to be back... you're the one who told me that you'll have your fullest power at full moon. Maybe it'll be back by then" I hug him "We'll get her back..."

He hugged me tight and I felt his chest expanding as he breathe "It's good that you're here..." he whisper "makes me remember, what it feels like to be normal."

I felt a flush of fever as we hugged; I've never felt safe again with someone...

"We have to hurry, before the night crawls..." he held my hand and we walk together

As we walk, I looked at him, I started to be curious about him "What age were you, when you became a Hex?" I ask

"I was twelve..." I tried to read his expression but, I failed

"How old are you now?"

"Twenty-two..." he looks away from my direction "I have no choice back then... my parents were hanged by humans in our own house, they burned it down. My parents were accused of the plague that was spreading on their land. I was carrying Rebbekah as we looked for an escape and ran straight into the woods. Then..."

"And then what?"

"They chased us... I knew we cannot escape them, torches and weapons were everywhere. I looked for a hiding spot where I could leave Rebekkah for a while; I told her I'll be back for her. And so I ran and misled the humans. I was cornered... stabbed me to death and then left me there to be eaten by animals, I drowned in my own blood. All I can think about then was my sister... I needed to be strong and alive for her"

"You died?"

"I was going too... but then I heard Rebekkah's cry, it was Aunt Delliah, carrying her. She was with the others, they immediately brought the things that was needed for the ritual and she killed me, slit my throat with the ancestor's dagger." He looks back at me and I saw the fear in his eyes, finally... an expression from him "Then I died... but was brought back to life" he forced a smile

"You had no choice..." I felt sorry for him

He smirks "And you, have a choice... yet you choose to be a Hex" he stops and looks right into my eyes "I hate to see that light inside you slowly die..." he was worried

"I wanted this..." I straightened my body "There's no one to blame but me..."

***

The sun sets down, it was almost midnight...

Niklaus hushed me "Did you hear that?"

I look around, there were nothing but trees "Hear what?" I look back at him, saw him concentrating