Chapter 4

Ace stopped and told me that we would reach the end of his property in about seven minutes but that there was no need to continue. We had reached a clear forest meadow with golden grass and a little creek sparkling yellow with the reflection of the setting sun. There was a family of ducks swimming around and there was a couple of deer running into the woods on the other side of the clearing. The birds were settling down for the night and the crickets were chirping an almost intoxicating song. Ace looked at my awestruck face and laughed as I walked forwards, letting my fingertips run over the weeds growing up to my waist.

" Its beautiful." I say finally looking at Ace . He smiles and walks forward to join me, taking my hand. I look at his hand in surprise and he tightens his grip so I can't pull away but I didn't want too. Ace pulls me behind him through the weeds to what looks like a shack in the woods. He let go of my hand and lifted a bar across the old wooden door after he unlocked a key lock on it. "Wait here" he said as he went inside. I sat on the ground next to the door and look at the scene around me. Ace came out holding two duffel bags and handed me one. I opened it and he took a blanket out of his bag, laying it out over the grass. I followed his example and sat down on the blanket. He took his hand and put it on my shoulder before he sat down , pulling his blanket next to mine. I move over on my blanket feeling self conscious and look at him. " So ah, how long have you lived in Africa?" I asked him trying to mask what I was feeling. "Oh, I don't know five, six years maybe, hard to keep track when all you can think about is someone you don't know yet love living somewhere unsafe and you're not there to protect them." I got the sinking feeling he was talking about me but wasn't sure if I should say anything. Ace looked down and me and smiled taking my hand in his and putting it against his heart. I looked at him speechless and when his eyes met mine I looked forward not wanting to be forced to talk. "What you thinking about? " he asked gripping my hand tighter now that it was beside us. I didn't answer his question, instead I just looked at the ducks swimming. The sun was almost set when we said another word to each other. "Its getting cold out." I said. Ace looked at me for a second seeming to want to argue but instead got up and got a blanket from the shed. Draping it over my shoulders he sat close beside me and joined me in the blanket. He worked his hand to the other side of my waist and holding me against him he pointed with his other hand to the stars above and smiled. "Ace, why didn't we head back to the house before it got dark?" I asked him when he put his hand back down, grabbing my hand. Ace looked at me for a second then looking back at the stars said, " To see the one thing on this earth that is in my opinion, equally beautiful." He smiled at me and seeming like he read my mind said, " To a girl I know that is worth more than anything in the universe to me." I smiled and he kissed the palm of my hand making me smile more and look away. He laughed quietly and gently turned my face towards him. Ace looked me in the eyes, his eyes glowing gently and leaned forward and kissed me. When I didn't pull away he wrapped his other arm around me and kissed me deeper. When he pulled away his eyes seemed to be glowing emeralds and his smile was so happy I blushed and looked away.

"Troy, look at me" he said taking my hands in his. I met his eyes and he pulled me to my feet. Ace told me to stay put and he went into the now darkening woods. I sat back down and looked at the stars and moon, noting it was a crescent moon out of observation and smiled to myself.

Ace came back shortly with a bunch of sticks and a flint and made a fire in front of the blankets we were sitting on. Ace reached for my hand and when i gave it to him he gently pulled me back to my feet. Ace pulled me close to him and started dancing. "I , I don't dance" I told him stepping away. He took my hands back in his and said " That's cause you've never danced with someone like me, don't worry, I'll lead." Ace smiled at me reassuringly and we danced around the campfire to the crickets and the owls midnight song.