3~ HIRAETH

"Bestie .... Wanna catch up for ice cream?!

"I'm full Abhi.. You made me eat so much.... "

"Aaah...... Come na let's go.... Waise bhi kahan tum shaddi ke baad aise mere saath aayogi!! "

"Joke tha ..... Hahahhahah.... "

Like why does everyone have to annoy me all the time. I had had enough of that marriage stuff and now even Abhi was pulling my leg. Aiyye appa please ... Please ... Manik should say no...

"You coming or shall I go.... "

"You carry on.... I need to take a round ..... "

"Chal na... Please.... "

"No ..... Mujhe kaam hai....lekin haan .. Get me chocolate ice cream.... "

"Oh... Toh madam ko home delivery chahiye!!.... Main nahi launga"

I made a puppy face.

"ABHI ...... please...... "

"Don't make that face..... Fine.... "

"Thanks...."

And with that he left.

I went inside the building and started
with work.

"Ma'am.... "

I turned around.

"Nyonika ma'am wants you to meet her in fifteen minutes"

"Thanks Joy ... I'll be there.... "

Now what does she want.
Maybe Manik declined for the marriage. Aiye appa please make that happen.

I waited for the lift and finally after 5mins it had arrived on the ground floor. I stepped in as soon as the door open and pressed the button to the 22nd floor.

My phone buzzed.

Abhi: Ice cream on its way

Me: 😍

The lift stopped,  but it was the 8th floor.  The door opened. I didn't bother looking up until.....

"Aaah...... Look who's here.... "

I looked in the direction of the voice.

Shit!  Like why!  Damn it I should have gone with Abhi for the ice cream.

I faked a smile to the comment.

"How's life?!....Nandu?! "

"Its Nandini.... "

"Is it?!..... How does that even matter!!.... Ms soon to be Nandini Malhotra "

I looked down having no answer for this.

"Poor Nandu.... You don't even know the mess you are in!! "

"Manik.... I..... "

He stepped closer to me....

"I??? "

"I...... "

"How could you even think... Of getting married to me .... "  he asked.

"I..... That.... "

"Tch tch tch..... "

He pressed the stop button and the lift stopped between the two floors.....

"No disturbance now... Now tell me... What made you say a yes??? " he asked again.

Aiyee appa please save me. 

He kept coming closer to me and soon I found myself pinned to the wall.

He put my curls behind my ears and the distance between the two of us was almost nullifying.

"Manik..... "

"You are in big mess Nandini.....the next days are gonna be so bad..... That you'd want to run away..... I'll show you the monster you never wanted to see.......but then you won't have anyone to save you...... Like bechari Nandini..... Abb toh tum...... "

He pulled back.

I stood there shocked with his words. I wanted to break open that lift door and run away to some place safe.

I could see the anger in his eyes and it was growing with everyone passing moment. He was looking at me fiercely. But what was my fault?! I never even wanted to get marry this.....

I saw him press the floor button again and the lift regained its motion....

I stood there at one corner without making any noise or move.

The lift finally stopped on the 22nd floor.

I stepped out of the lift......

"Bad days coming.......... " I heard him say.

The lift door shut.

***
I went home early that day.  The entire day was a mess.  I needed some time to figure out things. I needed time to gather my self. I felt home sick.  I seemed to be caught up in a HIRAETH.

I changed into the night clothes and sat on the window pane with the book my Amms had gifted me.
I opened to the page which I often read and some how reading it made me feel better.  Those words on the white page were harsh but it did help.....

"It feels like pain,  pain every day.
Your brain knows you are nothing and this causes pain. The pain grows in every cell of your body, like a disease that eats you from the inside out.  Soon you are only a shell, but there's nothing left in the inside. No heart,  no thinking,  no emotions. Just a skin that walks around all day hurting.

That's how nothing feels. "

I shut the book with tears in my eyes.

A/N:
Do comment and vote (if you liked)
Adiós 💜