Chapter 1

On the top of a skyscraper stood a tanned young man with a butch haircut in camouflaged combat clothing. Not flinching from endless gusts of wind, he took in the sight of sunset across Ho Chi Minh City. The streets beneath were crowded with people and vehicles flocking out from all directions, sharp noises of engines and horns got the man to frown. He took off, as lightly as a feather, heading for the suburbs.

"Do you have someone you want to take revenge of?"

The man turned around, a little freaked out at the stranger's abrupt appearance. The woman seemed to be in her early thirties, had rumpled long black hair and was wearing old green pajamas. She came forward to hover alongside him, hollow eyes not set on him.

"Why do you ask?"

"I know a person who can help."

The man pondered for a moment, then gave a nod.

"Please lead the way."

The two spirits silently flew past the main roads, gigantic buildings and continuous residences to reach a slums area in one of the central districts. They slowed down as they entered a small dark alley, where about twenty other spirits, both male and female and of various ages, were scattered. Some were standing on the ground with their backs turned to the old dirty walls, some were floating mid-air facing the dusky sky, some were strolling on the rooftops of broken down houses. All had soulless eyes.

The young man was startled by a man's insane laughter from upon a bunch of electric wires. It was a middle-aged big man in a luxurious black suit. He was laughing so hard that his whole body was shaking fiercely.

"Serves you right!!!", he shouted happily.

The woman showed the man into a tiny house near the end of the alley. The only things in the living room were a very old gray bicycle, a set of one plastic table and two chairs, a cheap-looking white clock, and a wooden cabinet with an altar, on which a rather young woman's picture was. The light blue paint on the walls rubbed off here and there. The limited space left inside was used as the kitchen and the bathroom. The man followed the woman upstairs under the mild yellow light from a neon lamp.

A figure was sitting on a ragged brown couch, facing the balcony.

"I bring one."

The person got up and swiveled around. It was a very tall and lean yet sturdy teenage boy with straight black hair. He was wearing a dark red T-shirt and bright blue jeans, all of which were markedly faded.

"Thank you."

The man was taken aback by the boy's deep voice in contrast to his young appearance. The woman bowed to him prior to flying outside. He took a thorough look at the newcomer, handsome face revealing no feelings. He suddenly approached the man and put a hand on top of his head, making him step backwards out of reflex.

"I don't take cases where people have unfinished business. Leave."

The man winced at the boy's statement.

"I'm here because I'm curious. What is it that you're doing with all these spirits?"

"That's none of your concern."

"There's other people with special abilities like you. Care to find out about them?"

The boy rolled his monolid dark brown eyes.

"So you'll tell me about them if I tell you what I do here."

"That's correct."

"Alright. I can see the shock people went through before they died. They want to avenge themselves on those who caused them grief. I make them show up in those scumbags' dreams every night until they confess their sins or go crazy or even commit suicide. The spirits will then be freed."

The man's eyes broadened at the boy's cruel words, which were delivered with an apathetic voice. His face was emotionless just like the spirits' outside.

"That's no real freedom. Also, there might be misunderstandings..."

"Misunderstandings?", the boy sneered, "I see everything with my own eyes. Those scoundrels must be punished. I ask the spirits I've helped to go find others and bring them here too."

"You think that's help? You're just magnifying the shadow in those broken souls-"

"I don't need a lecture from you. Now tell me about people like me."

The man's eyes narrowed as a wrinkle formed between his thick brows.

"Why are you doing this anyway?"

"I feel like it. Stop wasting my time and start talking already."

"Watch your words. I'm forty years older than you."

"Then shouldn't an adult keep his promise?"

The boy's lips shaped a conceited smirk. The man crossed his arms before his chest as he held in his irritation.

"I've met this girl who erases spirits' memory and sets them free. There's also many children able to see and talk to spirits."

"Does any of them live nearby?"

"Sadly, no."

"Thanks for the information."

The man took a step towards the boy, who diverted his gaze out the window.

"Can I stay here for a while?"

"What for?"

"I told you, I'm curious."

"Fine. As long as you don't bother me."

The boy picked up a navy blue backpack from the couch and put an old-fashioned cell phone in his right pants pocket.

"Why do you remain in this world anyway?"

"I was too worried about my little brother. Now his son is the reason, that kid's such a troublemaker.", the man took another step ahead, "What's your name?"

"I'm Lâm."

"My name is Nam. I died in the 1979 war."

"I'm in grade eleven. I'm going to work now."

Lâm walked past Nam to downstairs, put on his bag and took the bicycle out of the house. He locked the door as Nam flew down to the ground floor. The spirits around watched him pedaling away with dull eyes, staying still. Nam hovered after him, keeping his distance to avoid being seen. It was already dark but the alley lights had yet to be turned on.

Lâm's black shoes were worn out and discolored. He swiftly made his way through busy streets one after another. Following him, Nam found them arriving at a large vintage restaurant on a quiet road in the center of Saigon. Lâm changed to the restaurant uniform - a long-sleeved white shirt under a dark gray gilet with a black knot at the collar and black pants. Joining fellow waiters in laying the tables for a banquet, he rapidly yet carefully placed ten sets of dish, bowl, spoon, chopsticks and glass on each table with perfect distances and in proper order. He also got the violet orchids in a vase replaced when noticing that they were a little less fresh than those in others. Finally, he put any chairs that ruined the beige circles around the tables in their places.

The clock showed fifteen minutes to eleven when Lâm threw his bag on a chair in the living room and locked the door. He went to the bathroom to wash his face, not turning on any light. He touched his stomach for an instant, then dragged his feet to the staircase.

Nam was sitting-floating above the balcony, facing outside. He turned around hearing Lâm's tired footsteps. The boy paid no attention to the spirit, he subsided into the blue mattress, which was just as old and tacky as everything else in the house. He fell asleep immediately, and Nam returned to looking outside.