For cold situations (Dlamini)

"So the son just walked in here this morning and decided to give a statement that incriminates his father?" Capitan *Ngcobo asked looking surprised.

"Yes." Dlamini said sipping on another coffee that she should really not have been drinking. She had a slight headache from the alcohol she'd consumed last night. Her tolerance was clearly low. But that wasn't the worst of it... she was consumed with guilt and had no idea what she was going to say to her sponsor later on.

"And you've taken his statement? "He asked.

"Yip. Done."

Ngcobo shook his head. "Do you think the son was involved in some way?"

"No. I think the poor kid stumbled across some shit he shouldn't have when he was younger, didn't understand it at the time and only figured it out when he was older. His only crime was not coming forward when he realized what it was."

"So now what?"

"He's going to tell the family-"

Ncgobo clicked his tongue and shook his head, "I don't envy him."

"No," she said looking through the glass window into the interrogation room where a pale, sick looking Edward Jnr was sitting wringing his hands. He also probably had a headache this morning after the amount he'd consumed. She had made a private deal with him last night, she wouldn't arrest him for attempted evidence tampering and breaking into a crime scene if he came in in the morning and gave a statement.

After making the agreement she and Eddy Jnr had stayed at the father's house for a few more hours together- each nursing a couple of drinks. They had mainly drunk in silence together, and finished off the bottle of whiskey. And when they had spoken it had been mundane; the cricket, the political climate the strange heat wave they were currently having. It had been strangely enjoyable actually, despite the situation that had brought them together in the first place. She felt sorry for him. He was torn, trying to protect the memory of his father and subsequently, his entire family. This would throw them into total disarray and they would never be the same again. But he was also trying to do the right thing. She respected the guy.

"I'm going to morgue now, still need to figure out cause of death."

"And the girl on the tape? Does the son have any idea who she is, other than recognising her as one of the girls he saw in the photos?"

" No." Dlamini shrugged, "And I still don't know what I'm looking at to be honest."

"So she might not be dead?"

"I don't know."

The Capitan thought for a moment, "Take the tape to the corner, get his opinion. He knows what death looks like."

She nodded. She was already doing that. She had a copy of the video on a memory stick in her bag and had planned on showing the coroner when she got there.

"And we're sure it's him on the tape?" The Capitan asked again. There was a slight desperation in his voice. Everyone around her had taken on that tone. No one wanted this to be true. The implications would be far reaching and it was certainly not anything that they had ever dealt with either. God, she suddenly wished she lived in America and the FBI or some brilliant behavioral unit would sweep in and take this off her hands and make sense of it for all of them.

She nodded again. "His son identified him. And I identified him from some older photo's of him. It's him."

"Sick fuck." he said. She had never heard the Capitan speak like that before. He was usually the picture of professionalism, but this had unnerved everyone.