Lucky Me

The knock on my door was Wesley no doubt about it at all. I debated climbing out my window and diving to the ground to make a run for it. The fall wouldn't kill me, but it'd probably still hurt me enough to need a hospital. Sighing I laid my head back ignoring the noise as Brooke let Wes in like I knew she would.

I'd told her about today and she'd said she thought it was dumb for me to run, and she was totally right. I was just so scared. Love was a powerful thing, and honestly I wasn't sure that love is what we have. Two days ago I wanted to ring his neck for Gods sake. You don't feel like that about someone you love.

"Heather?" Wesley asked poking his head into my room. "Can we talk?"

I glanced his way and nodded my head. "I figured you'd come here to talk eventually."

"I just wanna know why you ran?" He sat on the edge of my bed at a safe distance. He wasn't even looking at me now. He just stared down at his hands in his own lap. "Was it because of what I said? Or are you still mad?"

"I'm just scared Wesley." I admitted. "I don't even know how I feel about you so how could you possibly 'love' me?"

"I just can feel it. It's the feeling when I look at you and my stomach jumps. It makes my heart beat faster when you look at me. I get all flustered and annoyed but it doesn't piss me off. It's the fact that I don't care that you might not even love me back. I just want to be with you. You make me genuinely happy like no one else ever could. You touch a part of my heart that I never knew existed until I met you." He explained.

"Wesley," He cut me off.

"Nothing that you say can change my mind."

I nodded as tears built in my eyes. "But why?"

"Why can't you change my mind? Or why do I love you?" He asked looking up. "Why are you crying babe?"

"My own dad doesn't love me Wesley so why the hell would you?" I snapped as my tears slid down my cheek quietly.

He scooted close to me and tucked me in his arms leaning us both back on the wall behind my bed. "Heather Verona, for someone so smart you can be pretty dumb. You're so amazing and you fail to see it. The reason I love you is so many different things. I love the way you aren't afraid to fight with me. I love that you care so much about Brooke. You're amazing eyes that can stop me dead in my tracks. I love you're laugh. I love that you care so much about school and don't care what people think. You never let things hold you down."

I smiled and kissed his cheek. "Thank you."

"Never thank me for loving you." He said looking down at me. "The thing I love most is that even though we were fighting you still wouldn't talk bad about me to hurt me. Even though I deserved every rude name in the book you didn't call me them. The minute I was absolutely sure I was in love was when you ripped the joint out of my hand yesterday and threw it on the ground. When you right hooked me in the eye I knew I was a goner."

I chuckled. "I should've punched you sooner."

"Are you still scared?"

I looked in his eyes and saw nothing to be afraid of. "Not of you loving me."

"Of what then?" He sighed. "Whatever it is I assure you it's irrational."

I smiled. "Of you leaving me."

"Never." He shook his head.

"What about Berkley?"

He chuckled shaking me. "I told you I only applied to make my mom happy. I'm not going to college. Besides, even if I was I think I'd be more likely to go somewhere else."

"Yeah, like where?" I asked.

He linked his fingers through mine. "See I have this girlfriend and she's going to USC and I think I might go there if I was going anywhere. I'm not though so she has nothing to worry about. We're going to graduate and have one hell of a summer together. Then she's gonna go to college with her very best friend. While she's there I intend to work on my music career and visit her all the time. Enough to annoy everyone around her actually."

"Lucky her." I squeezed his hand.

"More like lucky me." He pulled my chin up so I was facing him and kissed me hard.

***

That's exactly what happened too. We graduated and spent every day of summer together. Wes even got me to go skinny dipping with him as crazy as that sounds! We took long walks on the beach and stayed up talking until the sun was rising in the sky. He stayed with me every night. We fought over dumb things but always made up in minute. Fighting with him was nothing compared to not spending time with his ass. Then when the time came, I packed my things.

Wesley, Keaton, and Drew played gigs at bars all over towns around us. They were working with some different ideas to get signed. Drew just wanted to go shirtless to all kinds of labels in LA and play a song. Wes thought that might get them arrested though. Brooke and I roomed together and Wes visited enough to annoy her. His visits weren't the annoying part, but him staying the night was. So eventually he got an apartment near campus for us, and I happily moved in.

He thought that he was the lucky one, but I assure you that I knew damn well it was me. I was the lucky one to have such a caring and loving boyfriend. He was the best thing to happen to me. That's why when he proposed at my college graduation I said yes! But that's another story.

The End!