new beginning.

Kyra Thompson

"Toast. I can make toast."

While walking up to the front door of the Gilbert household, all I hear is the sound of Jenna panicking inside causing a small smile to spread across my face. I got to the front door and grabbed the handle to find that it was unlocked so I entered the house making my way to the kitchen without a second thought. At this point, I was at the Gilbert's house as much, if not more, than my own so I didn't wait to be let inside. This house felt more like home than anywhere a lot of the time.  Elena and I had been best friends since we were kids, many of my memories included her and she was like a sister to me.

She had always had my back, no matter what, and I had hers. Elena and her family helped me out a lot with issues I had when I first moved to Mystic Falls, and I was so thankful for that. 

"It's all about the coffee, Aunt Jenna," Elena tells her aunt as she pours the steaming liquid into a cup.

"So where is the coffee?" I ask while walking into the kitchen causing the two other women to jump, yet Jenna shakes her head at me while Elena glares. I make my way over to Elena, grabbing the jug of coffee from her hands and pour myself a cup too while Jeremy walks in with a smirk making its way onto his face from me scaring them once again (it may have happened a few times before). I grab another cup that's on the side, making another drink then sliding it across the counter to Jeremy, who nods gratefully bringing the cup up to his lips, taking a sip of his own coffee.

Jenna scurried across to her bag, taking out her purse, "Your first day of school and I'm totally unprepared. Lunch money?" She asks her niece and nephew, holding out some money for them to take.

"I'm good." Elena says while Jeremy looks at his sister before taking the money that is held out in front of him, quickly placing it in his pocket.

"Anything else? A number two pencil? What am I missing?" Jenna asks while shoving everything back in her handbag.

"Don't you have a big presentation today?" I ask, my eyebrows scrunching together while sipping my coffee, knowing she said something about it the other day.

"I'm meeting with my thesis adviser at...," She looks down at her watch, "now. Crap!"

"Then go. We'll be fine" Elena assures her aunt who quickly makes her way out the kitchen to leave. Elena turns to her  brother, " You okay?" she asks Jeremy, concern spreading across her face.

"Don't start." He answers then walks out, making me and Elena give each other an unsure look.

**********

"So Grams is telling me I'm psychic. Our ancestors were from Salem, witches and all that, I know, crazy, but she's going on and on about it, and I'm like, put this woman in a home already! But then I started thinking, I predicted Obama and I predicted Heath Ledger, and I still think Florida will break off and turn into little resort islands.." Bonnie goes on about while I listen and Elena apparently daydreams looking out the car window.