Chapter Three

The gig ran just like the previous ones and there were no issues with the room. In fact, there were no problems at all. Well, besides the few people carried over the barrier during songs. It seemed that The Beach was the most popular for them to topple down, so that was sort of mad... But besides that, Jesse danced around, Brandon played the shit out of his kit, Mikey and Jeremy calmly played opposite each other, and I watched Rainey.

    The only problem with my tactic of playing at the same time as staring was that I had to stay on the spot... I couldn't risk getting tangled up and caught in the wires, so that was difficult... I mean, not fidgeting.

    "Dude, you alright?" Jesse walked up to me during the show.

    We had just finished WDYWFM and the show was three songs from the end and the crowd were still shouting random shit because most of them were waiting for Sweater Weather because they didn't know many of our other songs, but that was sort of okay, after all they still paid to see us and got us this career.

    I turned to Jesse and nodded and he walked to Brandon drums. I followed him over and we both turned to the crowd. The house lights were off so I waited a couple seconds until they rose.

    "Can you see that girl over there?" I said to Jesse quietly.

    "Which one?" He asked.

    "The one with her hand in her hair."

    "Yeah."Jesse nodded briefly, unsure what I was getting at...

    "That's her."

    He turned to face me and laughed, patting my back, "Now you can stop drooling over my girl."

    Once RIP To My Youth had finished, we all walked offstage. The boys all cheered and Jesse grabbed Devon and kissed her cheek. They walked ahead of us, with Devon's arms around his shoulders and his around her waist.

    "We've got two hours to pack up and leave and all the equipment got a bit messed up and tangled, being so cramped and all." This English guy said from behind us.

    "I'll get my stuff now?" I spoke, not sure whether he was implying for me to sort my own stuff or something else.

    "If you could, that would help a great deal, thank you son." He nodded and rushed away.

     I turned on my heels and headed back to the stage, where my guitar was. My acoustic guitar sat on its own, in my little area of the stage. I reached forward and grabbed it.

     "Zach! Oh my god, is that really you!!" A raised voice spoke and I put my head down quickly, then I heard laughter.

    I looked up to see Rainey smiling and leaning against the silver barrier. Her friend was at the back with the girls she spoke to earlier and they weren't looking over.

    "I thought you'd be long gone." She spoke.

    I placed my guitar back down and hopped off the stage onto the ground. The barrier stood between us and she still had her arms resting on them and her hands holding up her chin.

    "I had to help tidy away." I said.

    "They made you tidy away?! How could they be so cruel! After all, it's your show!" The thick sarcasm coated her voice.

    "You make me sound like such a shitty guy." I laughed under my breath and looked to my feet.

     "I can assure you that you're not." She whispered and I brought my face upwards again.

    I looked over her shoulder and then back to her and she copied me.

    "How come you're always alone when I see you?" I asked.

    She tucked both lips in her mouth and her tongue sprung out slightly and I instantly wondered what her lips tasted like.

    Her head trailed down and she shrugged, "I've never been the best at making friends, which is sort of weird because here I am.. talking to you... or overtalking, am I-"

    I stopped her mid sentence, "It's okay."

    She let out a shaky breath and nodded.

    "This is going to sound a little strange, but do you want to come over the barrier?" I asked her.

     "You mean that's allowed? I didn't think normal people were supposed to go up there..." She said, shocked.

     Her eyes still looked heavy and she still looked tired but she tried her best not to let it show. The dried blood lightly stained her nose and part of her cheek but it wasn't extreme at all. Her top lip looked a bit darker so I assumed it was also on her lip too.

    "Normal people, huh?"

    "That's not what I meant..." She rushed again.

    "I know, but it will be fine." I smiled.

    "Yeah, I'd love to help you tidy your shit up." She laughed, and reached her arms out like a little kid wanting to get picked up.

    She climbed a little bit of the barrier but I pulled her over the rest and she just tumbled forward, landing on me. She was laughing the whole time and I was even laughing along until some of the remaining fans, in the arena, noticed me and ran- at full speed- towards us. They called out my name and shouted compliments and other comments.

    I pulled myself onto the stage and lifted Rainey up and we both ran off the side of the stage.