15--Punishment

Warning: Torture (you can probably tell bu the title)

I was in a daze the entire way to Deathstroke's lair. Since Cadmus was discovered, he would have had to go into hiding. But I didn't care.

The first thing Slade did when we got out of the Zeta tube was check me for any tracking devices. He found several and destroyed them all, even the one that Batman had embedded in my skin the first day I was at the mountain, which had hurt a lot.

I followed Deathstroke without a word, a hand over my bleeding arm and my head bowed. I'd be punished for my insubordination, for running away, for betraying him. I knew that he would not hesitate to terminate my friends if I disobeyed, so I didn't and it killed me a little bit on the inside.

I was glad it was dark out. Someone might have called the police if it had been day, which would've gotten really messy. I was out of range of Miss Martian's mind link. The silence made me feel empty inside. I wanted to cry, but Slade would beat me for that too. I swallowed the lump in my throat and kept my eyes trained on Slade's feet.

We eventually came to an old, run down apartment on the dark side of Gotham. Is there anything but a Dark side of Gotham? I wondered doubtfully. I knew this side would be much worse than, say, where the Police Station or Wayne Manor would be. The police weren't totally useless and everyone seemed to love the billionaire. There would be no privacy there. But here...I could almost smell the crime in the air. The child abuse, the illegal drugs, murders, muggings, rapings. They were everywhere. And no one cared. The perfect place for Slade to take me. Where no one would think my screams were unusual.

I followed Deathstroke into the apartment. No one glanced our way. I wonder if this is where villains lie low, I thought. I mean, no one's giving a mountain of a man in a mask and obviously villany clothes a second glance. But they do seem to have some interest in me. God, I'll have to stay in the room or I might get murdered!

Deathstroke opened a door and shoved me inside, slamming it behind him. I heard the lock click and I knew I was screwed.

Deathstroke gave me a gesture I knew well. It meant that I was getting a whipping and that meant I'd have to take my shirt off. I swallowed and did as I was told, slowly turning so that my bare, scarred back was facing him. The room was cold and I hugged myself for warmth. The first blow came unexpectedly. I let out a yelp, but tried to keep it in as the flesh was torn from my back. I gripped my bare arms so hard that my nails bit into my skin, drawing blood.

"If you hadn't left, this wouldn't have to happen to you," Deathstroke said, hitting me again, causing me to fall to my knees. I bit my lip to try and stop myself from screaming. "You brought this upon yourself."

I almost made a snarky remark, but decided that it wasn't a good idea. No use enduring more pain than I had to.

After about six more lashes, Slade dragged me to my feet and dragged me to the kitchen by my hair. There, he rubbed salt into my wounds, causing me to yelp. Tears brimmed my eyes and the lump in my throat was back.

After that, he brought me to the bathroom, filled up the tub, sticking my head in and holding me there. I held my breath for as long as I could, but I was beginning to feel lightheaded. Just when I thought I would pass out, Slade took me out of the water. I gasped for breath just as he forced my head under again. He dragged me up once again and threw me onto the bathroom floor. There, he started to kick me. I cried and screamed, but he wouldn't stop.

After what felt like an eternity, he grabbed me by the hair again and dragged me to a coat closet. "I'll finish up your punishment tomorrow," He said. He kicked me into the closet and held me down with his foot. "This is where you will sleep. I don't want to hear a peep, even if it's one if your nightmares." He threw my sweatshirt at me. "Can't have you freeze to death in the middle of the night." He slammed the door shut and I heard it lock. I pulled on my sweatshirt, not caring if it hurt my back. I soon found that the closet as about three foot by four foot. I tried to get into a comfortable position, but it was impossible. I curled up into a ball, tears building up in my eyes from pain and grief. I let myself cry. I didn't care anymore. I bit my sweatshirt to muffle it, but I was still terrified that Slade could hear it.

I eventually cried myself to sleep, but sleep simply brought nightmares. The next morning, I didn't feel any better. In fact, I felt worse. Unrested, beaten and bruised, and...broken. I'd lost everything. My friends, freedom, my hero alias...Hm, I must be pretty pathetic if that's all I can think of...

My thoughts were interrupted by the door being unlocked. I sat up and rubbed the bags out from under my eyes. Deathstroke grabbed me and pinned me against the wall. "Now I'll finish what I started." He started to punch me repeatedly. I cried all over again, not caring to hide it this time. I was scared. I was hurt. I was living my worst nightmare. For a thirteen year old kid...who wouldn't cry?