chapter 7 || talkin' nights

"It doesn't matter who hurt you, or broke you down. What matters is who makes you smile again." 

                                                     - (Unknown) 

*                           *                            * 

"UM, ISSAC WANTS TO TALK TO YOU," James dubiously handed the phone to me and I took it staring at it in confusion. 

It's been about a week and a half since Issac left for New York and he hasn't contacted me since. I mean, I don't see how since I don't have a computer, phone or any type of social devices. James left the room after I took his phone and put the phone up to my ear. 

"Ave! I miss you!" 

"Uh. Why are you calling me at...nine at night?" 

As I much as I hated saying this, I kind of missed Issac. Without Issac at school, I was once again left alone at school. Ryan was hanging out by himself and didn't bother talking to me. Issac's voice was sort of, kind of a part in my life. 

And it scared the shit out of me. 

"I'm coming home tonight! Are you going to be excited?" His voice echoed through the voice and I chewed on my fingernails. Ever since that day that Kenneth talked to me, I was feeling paranoid at all times. 

The fear was constantly eating me at all times, thinking he was everywhere watching me. I wasn't being my usual self before, the one that snaps at people and bitch all the time. The fear eating me caused me to be more attentive and paranoid. 

"Avery? You still there?" 

"Yeah," I mumbled. "Uh, what time are you coming home?" 

The nightmares were back more than ever and I actually remembered them this time. It was so vivid and haunting that I was left shivering in my cold sweat every night at three in the morning. I was pretty sure that my screams could be heard from miles away but James never did anything about it. If ever, he just ignored it. 

I didn't know if Issac's mom and dad were home but I knew his mom was always at the hospital working late shifts so she couldn't be home. Issac's dad however always looked like he's always somewhere else. 

"Aw, it looked like someone did miss me. I just landed here, cupcake. I'll be home in about thirty minutes." 

Since the week past, I received two paychecks from Pete. It's been about two weeks since I worker at Perk Hill and he gave me my paycheck every week since he knew my predicament. Usually, it would have been every two weeks that I got my paycheck but he was kind enough not to. I have now $1000. Each paycheck consisting five hundred dollars each. 

It was a lot of money but the cafè was really a busy place so we were getting a lot of cash. 

So I put that money in a safe place, under the mattress, and saved up. I didn't know if I wanted to leave after this month since I'll be having about $2000 and can get an apartment or stay here. 

If I stayed here there would be an unlimited amount of food and a comfortable bed. But if Issac's dad knew I was here, I didn't know what he would do. 

"Don't call me cupcake," I mutter without effort at all and I think Issac noticed. 

"What's wrong, baby girl? Ever since that day at the beach, you been..." He trailed off and I rolled my eyes at nothing. We haven't even talked that much since he left he wouldn't have noticed. 

"You haven't here to noticed if there was a difference or not." 

"I-uh well you didn't really bitch at me when I called you."