chapter 10 || fancy nights

THE RIDE TO THE GALLERIA WAS really awkward, to say the least. James was fidgeting in his seat and Issac was glaring out of the window. Mr. Carter and Mrs. Carter were oblivious to everything going around in the backseat while Callie was just sitting with a blank look on her face and Carla glaring into the side in her face. 

As soon as we got there, Issac stormed out of the car while everyone behind him were looking at him in disgust and shock as to why a teenage boy would run out of the car like that. 

I slowly got out of the car and everyone left me behind not once glancing my way to make sure I was okay or not. I saw Callie glance behind her to look at me but she still had that blank face on and walked arm in arm with James by her side. 

Carla left no doubt to go after Issac. Mr. and Mrs. Carter left to go inside the galleria to make sure everything was in place. 

I'm pretty sure I had a grimaced on but no one around me noticed so I just went ahead and walked up the steps myself until a hand touched my shoulder. I whipped my head towards the person and he quickly removed his hand grumbling, "Sorry, forgot." 

"What are you doing here?" 

"As you may have forgotten, Issac is my best friend after all. I get invited every year even if he wasn't." Ryan nodded his head towards someone who looked to be his father and slowly nodded. His father was another millionaire. Sometimes I forget because he always was in a quiet mood. 

"Anyways," he went on. "Thought Carter was your date. Where is he anyways?" He asked me while searching for Issac with his eyes. I coughed and his eyes snapped back to mine. "What?" 

"I don't know where he is. He ran off." 

"And why would he do that?" 

"Callie," I muttered. He growled and he set off to find Issac. That was left with me standing right outside of the galleria and took a deep breath and opened the door. 

It was like prom. 

The inside was decorated quite nicely and there was heat radiating off the walls which was a stark contrast from outside. People from all ages were here and I saw a lot of familiar faces such as celebrities and such. 

I saw the sweets table and automatically went my way over. I would have probably pulled a chair over but I didn't want to make myself look like a fat ass. 

I let my eyes wander around the room with a brownie in my hand when I saw the one thing I needed. 

A chair. 

Looking around, there wasn't anybody paying attention to me so I slowly made my way over to the chair and inconspicuously pulled the chair over right next to the table. Perfect. Now I don't have to stand and I could eat my brownie in peace. 

I closed my eyes and let my teeth sink into the most amazing brownie on the entire-

"You know, you probably shouldn't have pulled the chair over." 

My eyes shot opened and I stared at the girl in front of me. "And why is that?" 

She smiled gently. "If you don't want rich people to shit talk about you, you probably should stand since no one else is sitting." 

"I really don't give a shit." 

She grabbed a plate and set two cupcakes to her plate. "So, your name is Avery?" 

I didn't say anything and she sighed quietly. If I wanted to hate her, I really couldn't. She genuinely seemed like a very nice person. I didn't know what she could do to piss off Issac and why she would go to Issac to James in a matter of a week.