chapter 11 || harmful nights

“He carries stars in his pockets because he knows she fears the dark. Whenever sadness pays her a visit, he paints galaxies on the back of her hands.”  

                                                                     - (Alaska Gold)

*                             *                            * 

"H-hi..."

Winter break was finally over and we were back to our regular schedule. School, work, go home and repeat. I been trying to be a little nicer to Issac but that hasn't worked out so well since he knew how to piss me off so easily. 

It was during lunch and there wasn't a sign of Issac and Ryan. 

Yet. But I knew they would show up eventually. 

Instead the person standing in front of me was a girl. 

Who wore a little bit of revealing clothing but not that much makeup. In fact, it was only her eyes that had on makeup. I seen her around school and people would always bash on her because she was so nice and quiet. 

I was sitting at my usual spot and stared at her confusingly. "What are you doing here?" 

"Uh...well Issac had to go take a makeup test so he sent me here to you know, talk to you." 

I sighed. Of course. Issac wouldn't want me to be alone. "Look, no offense but I really don't want you here. So why don't you just scurry your ass someplace else."

She looked so scared and frighten that I almost wanted to take back my words. 

Almost. 

"I just- Issac's really sorta close to me and I really kind of want to be here. My other friends are really mean and I just don't want to be around them," she flinched once a girl passed by her and sneered at her. I felt bad for her and I didn't really want to leave her alone. 

"Fine, have a seat." 

She hesitantly sat down and clasped her fingers together. I asked her, "You aren't in our grade, huh?" 

She shook her head and answered quietly, "No, I'm a junior but I'm in Issac's AP Psych class." 

I nodded my head swiftly and just continued eating my lunch until I realized that I haven't even gotten her name yet. "Wait, who are you exactly?" 

She gave me a curt smile. "Riley Jayson. You're Avery Rose."

"How'd you kn-"

"I think everyone knows since you're hanging out with Issac more often now. People aren't really talking about it but they're noticing it." 

I didn't really have anything to say to that. I knew people talked about me behind my back regularly but I didn't know what to feel about them talking about me because I'm friends with Issac Carter. Speaking of the devil, here comes the man himself. 

"I see you guys have met." He was grinning widely at the both of us while she just glared at him. "Anyways, Riley have you talked to Bentley yet?" 

"Shut up, Issac." 

I was guessing that she had a crush on a little guy name Bentley Noah Oakley. He was our superstar football quarterback and only dated when he thought the girl was worth it. I knew the guy was nice but he was slightly arrogant and knew he had it all. 

Riley turned red and she pulled her hair in front of her hiding her face. Since Issac was sitting next to her, I kicked him and he glared at me. 

"What?" he mouthed.