Chapter VIII | King Pharaoh

May

   Ben wasn't himself.  It had almost a week after his brother's death and he still felt the guilt pang in his heart.  He didn't have that sparkle in his golden eyes, it was just a blank stare.  He rarely smiled even at the presence of Regina or Henry. 

Regina had to drag him out of bed though, because there were reports of the Acephali.  The people were complaining about the dryness of the air and accumulation of sand deposits around the town.  Ben sipped his coffee as he read the newspaper.  One article was about him and about the tribe.  He didn't appreciate the publicity. 

   "Ben?  You don't have to read that you know," Regina spoke up and took a sip of her own coffee. 

   "I know it's just-" he began and then sighed loudly, running a hand through his short hair. 

   "I know Ben.  But it wasn't your fault.  You have to move on from this," she said, lightly touching his hand.

   "Regina I've lost everybody all expect for you and Henry.  I've lost my parents, my brother, and my best friend.  I take it my destiny is to loose everything so I might as well not fight back," he said in a bitter tone. 

   "Ben, listen to me.  You have to fight fate because then you'll show it that you can change fate!  Benjamin I'm the Evil Queen I know I can't have a happy ending, but you can!  You're a good person, okay?  You'll find someone that you'll fall in love with.  I don't know who that will be you will, I promise," she said with a small smile, squeezing his hand. 

   "I-I think I may have already met that person," he muttered. 

"Really? Who?" She asked, puzzled.

"I'd think you'd know her really well," he hinted, but she didn't catch on.

Her brows furrowed and Ben took another sip of his coffee angrily but not to Regina's notice. She can't seem to catch on. He then set down his mug and clapped his hands together. "Alright let's get going then. Trust me I've seen sketches of Acephali he's not terrible attractive," he said grabbing his jacket and his bow and arrow.

~•~

King Deitre's Castle, 1995

   The strange yet handsome young prince Pharaoh rode upon his horse behind his father towards the their castle.  Many did not appreciate the prince's odd behavior.  Oppose to his good looks something odd was about him.  Something in his dark blue eyes which he had inherited from his mother Queen Meredith.

He looked very much like his father. His larger nose belonged to Deitre (Deter) and his lips and mouth were shaped much like his. His hair was dark brown with hints of auburn from his mother. His age was 20 and he already had a plan to become king. That plan was to have his parents killed so he could reign as King Pharaoh.

The castle gates opened as Pharaoh's, his father's, and his father's court's horses ride into the place. The stable boys ran to them, helping them off the horses before they took them back to the stables. Sir Winston adjusted his hilt and turned to face the daydreaming Prince. "Your majesty I take your mind is elsewhere. We have a meeting with the war council you do realize this your majesty, aye?" Sir Winston asked politely.

"Aye. Just thinking is all," Pharaoh responded with a fake smile.

The prince stayed behind for a few minuscule seconds as his father and the court walked into West entrance to the castle. Pharaoh then walked into his castle smirking at the guards who remained rigid.