Chapter 6:

Skylar was asleep in my lap for a few hours. She was completely still too. At some points I started to worry that she wasn't alive. But she was.

After awhile my legs were starting to cramp and I worked my hardest to place Skylar back in her bed without waking her.

It was a struggle. She wasn't heavy at all. I mean she was really skinny, I just had no upper body strength so my arms and legs were shaking by the time I set her in the bed.

She didn't wake though, which was good. But as soon as she hit the bed she rolled over on her side and snuggled into the pillow. I gently put the covers over her considering hospitals always have one temperature: cold.

I plopped back down into the hospital chair, bored once again.

I stared at the back of Skylars head and tapped my foot softly.

It was barely nearing 4 pm and there was still a lot of daylight left.

My mind started wandering, thinking of all the fun times that me and Skylar had. Out in the sun, in the beautiful green grass. We were always outside. And when we weren't we were just watching tv, which doesn't sound like a lot of fun but it really was.

I remember us sneaking around buildings and such just to share a cigarette. My parents would kill me if they ever found out that I smoked. Hers would too. She has asthma.

Out of all the years I've known her though, I've never witnessed her have an asthma attack. I wasn't really sure what one looked like anyways. What would I do? I'm guessing it's just a lot of trying to breathe but not being able to.

I started thinking about Hunter a lot. I wonder how he is. How he would feel about me being dead. I wonder if he could see me. And if he could, how would he feel about that?

Maybe I should go visit him... See if he's heard the news...

I stood up and started to walk out and I remembered what happened the last time I left Skylar in this room alone...

I walked over to her and placed my hand on her cheek. She whimpered softly.

"Sky?" I pushed her hair behind her ear.

She opened her eyes slightly and squinted.

"Hey" I said softly. "I'm gonna go home for a little bit, see how my family is."

She nodded and closed her eyes again.

I started to leave when I heard her call my name.

I turned around.

"Are you coming back?" She asked, sitting up in the bed.

I rolled my eyes "of course"

"But... How soon?.." She looked at her hands.

"I don't really know. I just want to see how they're handling everything."

"let me come." She pulled the covers off of her and started to stand up.

"Skylar you can't come."

She stopped. "But why?..."

"They'll see you leave the hospital, my parents won't understand."

She nodded sadly and got back into bed.

"But I'll come back" I assured her "and then I'll look at your Paper work and see when you can leave okay?"

She smiled and nodded.

I stepped towards the door but before i left I said "and I expect to see you in that bed when I get back." 

I left.