Chapter 17:

Skylar and I hopped into Hunters car and drove over to his house.

Once we arrived there, he told us to stay in the car.

But I didn't want to.

I told Skylar that I'd be back and I jumped out of the truck and walked into his house.

Hunter was in the living room with his mom. She was sitting in the chair and he was standing in front of her.

"She's real mom!" He shouted, his voice shaking.

"Hunter baby, you have to understand that she's dead. She's not coming back. Go lie down and rest." She kept her voice calm, trying to soothe him.

Hunter saw me standing behind his mom and he yelled "come here! Make yourself appear to her like you did to me!"

I jumped at the intensity of his voice. His mom looked behind her to see what he was yelling at.

"Hunter-"

"Venus please!"

I swallowed hard and walked over next to him. I took his hand and squeezed it softly.

I closed my eyes tight and took a deep breath. I wasn't sure how to appear, but I sure was going to try.

I tried to concentrate on becoming whole. I envisioned myself as invincible, and little by little, I forced color into my body.

I heard a loud gasp and I shot my eyes open.

Hunters mom was holding her chest, her heart and she looked scared.

"Believe me now mom?" Hunter sighed and took me under his arm, pulling me into his chest and hugging me tightly.

"Hunter what is this?" Now her voice was shaking.

"She's an angel mom, well... Sort of. But. We have to go to New York-"

"NEW YORK?!" She cut him off.

Hunter looked taken aback. "Yes mom... That's where we can get her body back."

she was silent for a moment, getting this through her head. "All by yourself?"

I spoke up "no ma'am. Skylars in the truck"

She looked at me with a genuine stare until I mentioned Skylar.

"Oh" she said, attitude stinging in her voice.

"I'm not too happy about it either." Hunter mumbled.

"That girl... Oh that girl." Hunters mom went quiet again.

It was silent for about a minute, but it felt like forever.

"I'll come." Hunters mom said.

Hunters eyes got big. "Mom no, you can't come."

She stood up. "And why not?"

"What if you get hurt?"

She started walking upstairs and Hunter followed, as did I.

"And what if you get hurt Hunter? My oldest son. What would I do if you didn't come home hmmm?"

She stood in her room and picked out clothes.

"Mom I'm not doing this for me, I'm doing this for Venus." He looked at me "I'd do anything for her"

Hunters mom noticed the silence and looked back at us. He was gazing into my eyes and grabbed my hand softy.

She shrugged. "And so am I. It's about time you picked one that was pretty AND smart. And also sweet." Hunters mom smiled at me and I returned it.

I liked her. She had a fun attitude about things, and I didn't really have a problem with her coming with us.

"What about Haden?" Hunter asked.

"Haden will stay with your father for a few days, he'll be fine. I'm sure he'll love getting away from his mom for a while." She giggled.

Haden. Hunters little brother. I liked his name.

"Well I'm ready." Hunters mom tossed a bag over her shoulder and walked back down stairs, where once again, we followed her.

She grabbed her keys off of a small end table and walked outside and stood on the porch, waiting for us to walk out too.

We did.

She locked the door and tossed her bag into the car.

Skylars eyes got big when she saw her.

Hunters mom hopped into the drivers seat and we piled in the back.

We were off.