Chapter Thirty

"I can't believe you don't know who Goose is!" I yelled at him, hitting the gas and shooting us forward. A little more than piqued that he completely ruined my moment.

"Is this more of your bountiful worthless knowledge nobody but you remotely cares about?"

Oh no he didn't.

"I should have you know Top Gun is a Classic!" I smacked the steering wheel for effect. "You lost that loving feeling? I feel the need, the need for speed?" I shook my head as he continued to stare blankly at me. "Why do I bother?" His lack of knowledge on anything cool was truly astounding. Especially considering he'd been around since before...well...everything!

"Perhaps you can explain it to me one evening," he purred, wiggling his irritating brows at me. "I must say, I am most intrigued at the take me to bed part."

The way he said it...the way it rolled off his tongue...was so enticing it made me wonder briefly if he had a preference in pubic hair shapes.

"Forget it, buck-o. There's not enough crayons in the box to explain it to you." Yes, I said the words and was incredibly proud of myself, but my heart took off faster than a MiG 28 at the thought of doing the horizontal hula with him. I bet he had more moves than John Holmes and my inner slut was on her knees begging to find out. The fact he still wasn't wearing a shirt, was not helping matters.

Mentally telling her to go take a cold shower, I maneuvered Gizmo down the road a bit speedier than when we arrived. It was dark now and I wanted to put as much distance between us and them as possible before the vampires could start ghosting. I was so busy looking for evidence of possible spooks, I almost missed a turn. Cranking around the tight corner, Fang cussed as he scrambled to put his seatbelt on while Courtanya rolled around in the back like a loose watermelon.

"How the hell did you ever get a driver's license?" Fang asked as we caught a little air and landed with a bone jarring thump. His head banging into the roof.

"I'm an excellent driver," I muttered, sounding a bit like Rainman as I concentrated on keeping four wheels on the ground around the next bend.

"I would like to contest that."

"Remember when I asked for your opinion?" I glanced over at him.

"No?"

"Yeah...me either because I didn't ask for it." I slammed on the brakes at the end of the super-secret hideaway road and his head flew forward in a cloud of silky black hair. His arms shooting out just in the nick of time to keep his forehead from banging into the dash. Drat! I hated his speedy reflexes sometimes. "Which way, fang boy?" I sweetly asked as he yanked strands of hair out of his mouth.

"You're asking for my opinion?" he mocked. His hand clasping his chest, pretending to be shocked.

And they said I was a bad actress.

"You are a real comedian," I drawled, rolling my eyes. "Maybe they have open mic night...in the dungeon!"

"Go north," he chuckled.

"North? Really? Didn't we already have this conversation once?"

Fang sighed and rubbed the bridge of his nose. "Just turn right, Red."

Casting an uneasy glance into the rearview and side mirrors, I flipped on my blinker and turned. It wasn't until we were a few 50 miles down the road that I finally stopped hopscotching my eyes from windows to one mirror to the other and back to the windshield.

Relaxing a bit, I leaned back in my seat and was just turning to Fang to ask him where we were going when Courtanya attacked. Fang cussed in surprise as her little blonde head popped between the seats with a growl and she started pounding on me with her tiny fists as if I was a veal cutlet. Why he was cussing when I was the one getting slapped, I didn't know. I also noticed he wasn't overly quick to come to my rescue either, asshole.