#1

James casually walked into the subway, ignoring the weird looks he got. As an everyday user of the subway system James had gotten used to the behaviour of the other users. He usually got those 'what the hell is up with this kid?' looks. He didn't understand why people had to stare at him. He wasn't that different from others. He was fairly normal considering the standard of the other people on the subway. Most of the people he saw regularly on this line were businesswomen/men, college students, or high school students. Well, of course, these people didn't cringe at the sound the doors made when they closed and their eyes probably didn't hurt from the flashing lights that signalled the closing of the doors and they certainly didn't rock back 'n' forth when they had a stressful day but other than that James wasn't different from them. Or at least that's how he saw it. To most people he probably looked like a madman or some alien entity posing as a human to learn their secrets. James often felt like the latter. He often felt like he was from a different planet. That would be a logical explanation as to why he was so confused by other humans. He usually had to take extra time to decipher what another person was saying, since most people talked the 'say it but don't mean it' way. It often annoyed James because then how did he know what the person was saying honest or not. It was just one of those things James classed as 'I'll never get it but I'll pretend to'. That was his only choice in these types of cases. It wasn't as if he had the basic understanding of metaphors and/or anything that involved the words being twisted out of their original meaning. Except for sarcasm, James always understood sarcasm (except for those very rare occasions) and he could wield it like a weapon.

"Hey, what'cha reading?" James was knocked out of his musing by a male voice. It had a local accent and seemed to belong to someone the same age as James. James had in fact been reading a book while musing on about his life. James vaguely glanced at the person that the voice belonged to. The user of the voice was a boy that was indeed around the same age as James. "It's titled Humans. It is a book about an alien who has been sent to Earth and has to collect information about the planet and its inhabitants but in the process he encounters humanity and learns the concepts of love and what it means to be human." James explained to the stranger. "You're not from around here are you?"  The boy asked with a grin. "I was born here if that's what you are referring to." James answered. He was born here but spent a significant amount of his childhood in another country, therefor he had a different accent than those who grew up here. "Then how come you've got a cute accent?" The boy asked James. James flushed from the compliment, he couldn't take compliments too well. "My father had to move to London when I was in 1st grade so we moved with him and stayed there for 9 years." James explained. The boy nodded understandingly. "Cool, must've been nice there." James nodded curtly. "So what might your beautiful name be?" The boy asked. "It most certainly is James, or at least I was told ever since I was born." James answered causing the boy laugh lightly. "I'm Senan." The boy introduced himself. James nodded, what was he supposed to say? Socialising was harder when Evangeline wasn't around to help out. Evangeline was James's social tutor, they practiced correct behaviour in social situations. Often they would practice in real life, for example last week they went to get some pizza and James had to order. Evangeline was of course right next to him, guiding him along and reminding him of anything he would've forgotten. Now he had to do things on his own since Evangeline wasn't here to help him out. "Hey, wanna go somewhere?" Senan broke the silence. "Um, I'm pretty sure that the tube is still in motion so we are going somewhere." James answered, he knew what Senan meant but he wasn't sure if he was allowed to and he wasn't sure what he was supposed to answer. Senan chuckled a bit. "Not like that, I mean like go somewhere else. For example, to a park or the aquarium." Senan explained. James couldn't help the excitement that erupted in him at the mention of an aquarium. He loved going to the aquarium because it fascinated him. "I'm not sure if I can..." He trailed off. "Come on, it'll be fun." Senan urged. "Mmm... alright. Let me inform my mother first." James agreed. He was sure Mummy would agree because she always pestered him to get a friend. The only problem with that was that James wanted a friend but people don't want him. James texted Mummy, then returned his attention to Senan. "Well then, where do you want to go?" Senan questioned, eyeing James curiously. "The aquarium." James answered instantly. "...if you want to as well..." He quickly added. Senan smiled. "That'll do with me."