Chapter 25 (Edited)

Alice couldn't help it but stare at the man laughing freely with little Samantha. That was the first time she saw him showing other emotions aside from arrogance, anger and irritation.

He looks so much younger when he laughs, she thought, looking at his twinkling golden eyes and full lips stretched into a warm smile.

When she caught herself staring at him too long, she bit her lip and bowed her head.

Her mind started to warn her again that he is trouble. But she felt angry, vulnerable and confused altogether that she couldn't decide what to do next.

"I'll stay away, if that's what you want... But I will still catch you."

His words echoed in her head that night, as she lay in bed, restless and unable to sleep. She stared up at the ceiling until her head hurt. She had slept only for a few hours and woke up the next morning feeling no better than the night before.

"You're mine."

"You're mine."

"You're mine."  

Alice gripped her fingers tight, her nails biting on her palms, fighting a shiver.

"Are you alright?" the three-year old Luca asked her, his green eyes looking up at her, worried.

She forced a smile down at him and patted his head gently, ruffling the soft black curls. She was aware of Trent's eyes on her. Hindi pa rin siya nito direktang kinakausap kahit na kanina pa ito umupo roon.

And his silence only increased her nervousness.

What was he thinking right now? Was he saying the truth last night? If yes, then what was she going to do?

"Cookie?"

Gulat na nilingon ni Alice si Samantha na ngayon ay hawak sa isang maliit na kamay ang isa sa mga cookies na gawa ng pinsan niya.

"Sammy?" aniya rito, nagtataka.

Patuloy pa rin na iniaabot ng batang babae sa kanya ang cookie. "Cookie. Yumyum, Zia Alice."

Ngumiti siya at inabot ang offer nito. Such a sweet child. Panandaliang gumaan ang loob niya habang nakikita ang masayang ngiti nito.

Hinalikan niya ito sa pisngi at pinaupo sa kandungan niya. "Grazie, Samantha."

Samantha smiled widely and leaned her head on Alice's shoulder, nibbling on her own treat.

"Zio taught me that." The child murmured it so soft that Alice almost didn't here it.

But she heard it all the same, and her heart started to thump faster inside her chest because she knew which zio, or uncle, Samantha was talking about.

Samantha continued talking, unaware of Alice going so pale and still like she stopped breathing. "When I cried because I fell down the swing or hurt myself when I fell from a tree, Uncle Trent was there."

"R-Really?" Sinubukan niyang magsalita kahit na biglang nanikip ang dibdib niya.

Sammy's soft curls brushed her chin when she nodded her head as an answer. "Then after I cry, he'll give me a candy. He promised it will make me better. I believe him."

"Why?" Alice whispered questioningly.

That's when Samantha looked up at her, her eyes shining. "Because Uncle Trent never breaks his promise. He doesn't want me hurt."

Alice was stunned upon hearing those honest words from a child's lips. Then, gathering courage, she raised her head to look at Trent.

Diretso itong nakatingin sa kanya, like he'd been looking at her for a long time and just waiting for her to turn her head.

His eyes punched straight into her defenses, the shield she made to protect herself slowly crumbling.

Trent never breaks his promises.

But does that mean he will never break her heart?

---tbc---