Chapter 22 (Edited)

UP: View from hotel's balcony.

***

"Was it because of the kiss?"

Alice released a harsh breath, tightening her hold on her upper arms, her nails biting her flesh chilled in the cold air blowing through the balcony.

Iniharap niya ang kanyang likod kay Trent at iniyuko ang ulo habang mariing nakapikit ang mga mata.

She wished she would be back to the nonsensical and simple life she was living before she met him. 

He's such a beautiful disaster waiting to happen and wreck her.

Katulad ngayon. He was causing havoc in her whole system. Her mind was warning her to stay away from him as far as possible, for her own sake.

But her heart, oh her heart. It was telling her that she needed him, that she craved him more than anything in this world.

Hindi na niya alam kung ano ang susundin niya.

She stiffened when she felt his heat on the bare skin of her back.

"Alice."

"No."

"Answer me."

"Stay away, Trent. Leave me alone."

A long stretch of uneasy silence that made her tremble even more. The air was cold but she felt so much colder inside.

Ibinaba niya ang mga kamay at ipinatong ang mga iyon sa balustre ng balkonahe. Tulad ng sinabi niya ay lumayo nga si Trent. But not far enough. He was still in her personal space; she could still feel his warm breath against the sensitive skin of her nape.

Huminga siya ng malalim, hinihintay ang tuluyang pag-alis nito. Hindi niya matantya kung anong iniisip nito ngayon dahil ang tagal na nitong nanahimik. At wala pa siyang lakas ng loob para harapin ito.

To look into those deep golden eyes of his... Such torture!

Napasinghap siya nang maramdaman ang maiinit na mga labi nito sa kanyang tainga, pababa sa kanyang pisngi. His scent drowned her as his breath caressed her pale cheek. She could have moved away, but he cradled her inside his hard, hot arms in a beat.

"No," he mumbled gruffly. "You don't get to stay away and leave me like this."

She remained stiff and unmoving in his arms. Several heartbeats passed in silence.

"Cara, I'll stay away, if that's what you want. But remember that you can't ignore me that long. Because no matter how far you run..." Lumalim ang hininga niya nang dampian nito ng halik ang puno ng tainga niya. Gumapang ang isang kamay nito sa kanyang braso papunta sa kanyang leeg. He circled her throat possessively, his thumb caressing the pendant that rested in between her collarbones, reminding her of his gift. "... I will still catch you."

Itinaas niya ang kamay at mahigpit na hinawakan ang braso nitong nakayapos sa kanya.

"Why are you doing this?" she rasped in a weak tone. 

Because she was weak-kneed and have nothing left to continue arguing with him, she went willingly when he cupped her shoulders and turned her body to face him.

She saw his amazing eyes glitter in the lights cast by the nearby buildings. The rush of night traffic below remained a hushed sound to her befuddled senses. All she could focus on was him.

"Why, Alice?"

Napalunok siya nang ilapit nito ang mukha sa kanya, the tip of his nose almost touching hers.

Then the eyes of the lion stared at her, caught her. "Because you're mine."

---tbc---