Day 5

Day 5

Another day without water.

A couple of days ago, I finished the last of it from my canteen.

I still cannot find anything other than the dunes of sand and the occasional bird.

I am beginning to go mad from the heat. Over the past few hours, I have seen so many mirages that I lost count. I have seen an oasis on several occasions, a tree a couple of times, and once, I even saw a large water canteen on its side, spilling precious water onto the scorching sand and reminding me that my time is running out.

Most of them, though, were of my family. My mother, father, and brother, welcoming me, beckoning. Our home sat behind them, the place I most wanted to be.

Then I would remind myself that I was in the middle of the Endless, my mother was dead, and my father and brother were separated from me.

I can't believe I actually wrote that account correctly. I'll be lucky if I can remember to record each day.

I must find water. My tongue feels like sandpaper in my mouth, my throat so dry I cannot speak. I may one day wake and be unable to stand, or not even wake at all.

Even at night, the heat persists, leaching every bit of moisture from my body.

I must find water...

Must... water...

Water