--chapter 37--

Mello’s POV

Bellatrixx ignored me that entire week. I was alone when I departed for Japan. Once I was there, I went immediately to a local directory, to use an old trick that Bellatrixx had taught me. I would have to make this up to her, somehow. She had always wanted to come here, so maybe I could buy her a memoir for Japan.

I was going to go straight to Near after this. I would have to talk to him, and figure out as much as possible about the case. I would have to resist punching him in the face. I was so sure I was further ahead than he was.

After an hour of interrogation by his security, I was finally let in to speak to Near.

He hardly paid any attention to me, playing with his stupid dolls.

“You realize you’ve gotten nowhere compared to me, right Mello?” he asked.

Stupid little brat. He was so arrogant. “Whatever.”

“Why are you here? Where’s Bellatrixx?”

“I'm here to talk to you about Kira.” I narrowed my eyes at him. “And Bellatrixx is still at home.” I didn’t tell him where we were. He probably knew anyways.

“Still in Berlin, then?” He said. “I’m surprised she isn’t here, attempting to chop off my head.”

“She has more things to worry about than you, Near. Now I want to know about Kira.” I wasn’t in the mood for idle conversation. I was going to get info out of this kid.

Bellatrixx’s POV

“Mewwo?” Rouge called.

“He isn’t here, Rouge. He’ll be back later.” I said to her. She had been calling his name out since he left, four days ago.

“Don’t worry, my little chickadee!” Matt said, picking her up and placing her on his lap. “Uncle Mello will be back soon, just like Mommy said.”

She looked up to him, her dark eyes glittering.

He kissed her forehead.

I sighed and went into my room. There was a large window that I enjoyed looking out of. I needed to get my head on straight about Mello. His questions bothered me constantly. I wanted to shoot my head for constantly worrying over what he said about me leaving Matt for him. I was married, for God’s sake!

Why would Mello care about me so much that he would question my loyalty to my marriage with Matt? Well, for one, I had always defended him against bullies when he was little. I had always given him extra chocolate bars when L wasn’t looking. As much as I regretted it, I had bought him his first gun after he begged and begged and begged . . . . He had lost his virginity to me . . . . Where those really reasons powerful enough to keep him behind me, watching to catch me if I fell?

Mello loved me.

There was no denying it. He had broken his own heart so I could be happy. But all of this made no sense at how much he freaked when I told him Rouge was partially his . . . . Or was he just overly happy to have at least a little part in my child?

“Mommy, was is it?” Rouge walked up behind me. Her grammar wasn’t the best, but she was learning especially well for a two year old.

“Nothing my little cherub.” I picked her up and kissed her cheek.

“Germany!” She squealed, pointing out the window.

“That’s right.” I said absentmindedly.

“Let’s chocolate for Mewwo.” She demanded. She was already aware of how much Mello loved his chocolate. Especially the finest here from Berlin.