--chapter 46--

Bellatrixx’s POV

The next morning, I returned to the room we had slept in quietly. Mello was still asleep. I went over to his side of the bed and gently shook his shoulder.

“Mello.”

He stirred only slightly.

“Mello, wake up. Come on, it’s an important day.”

He mumbled.

“Come on, Mihael.”

More grumbles.

“Mello if you don’t get up I'm going to drag you up, now move.”

He wearily opened his eyes. He looked less than happy, but then remembered what I had promised him the night before.

I smiled as he sniffed at the smell of food. I had made a huge breakfast that morning. He yawned, and tried to lie back down.

“Mello!”

“What, what?!” he asked, sitting back up. He looked up at me, and I gave him a smile. “Okay.” He said, without another word from me.

After breakfast, we set out into the town, or rather village as I called it. Although it was far from the modern term of ‘village’. I smirked the whole way to where I was leading Mello. I was nervous about seeing Matt again. What would he say? And what about Ryuzaki? What would the two tell each other?

“A field?” Mello asked, when we came upon a large, vast field, far from the village.

“You’ll see. Here is a very special place.” I started explaining. “My memories reside here.”

“What?”

“Okay, hear me out. The important people that have died in my lifetime are forever in my memory, as they would be in anyone’s. But, a friend of mine, from a very very very long time ago left me with a special gift. She had died here, in this field, but as she lay in my arms dying, she cast a sort of enchantment upon this place.”

He looked slightly creeped. I wondered if he believed me.

“Anyone who left an impact on my life is here, only during a certain time of the day, from dawn to nightfall. My memories contain small pieces of those people’s souls, and here they resonate into physical form under a type of shield of energy.”

“Like . . . entities?” Mello asked.

“Well, in a way, yes, but here they are in full form, and I may physically interact with them.”

“So . . . L’s here?!” He began to get excited.

“Yes. And Matt.”

“Why didn’t you show me earlier?!”

“Because you were bed-ridden and I had other business to attend to. I had been once. And I told you I went to see Matt.”

“I thought you were crazy.”

“As always.” I replied sarcastically.

Mello’s POV

I could see what she meant by ‘shield of energy’. It looked like a giant glass dome, yet you could see right through it, and there was nothing but the field behind it. Perhaps we had to enter it?

She wrapped her arm in mine and led me into the dome. It felt like I had passed under a sheet of water, yet I was completely dry.

Then everything suddenly burst into activity. People mingled everywhere, along with many sounds and animals. It was almost like a hidden forest in here, for clumps of trees were standing tall nearly everywhere. This was quite odd for a plain of grass.

I heard Bellatrixx sigh beside me. She smiled, happy to see these people. Some were very odd looking, others looked enigmatic, and others were bounding around everywhere, happy.

A few greeted Bellatrixx.

This was beyond strange. This was blowing my mind. These ‘people’ were ‘dead’?

Then the three appeared.BB, L and Matt. An immediate smile spread on my face, but then I paused. Was this an illusion? Had Bellatrixx finally tripped over the edge? Apparently I was too. How was this possible? L was dead! Matt was dead! Beyond Birthday was dead! Dead, dead, dead!

“Matt!” she broke away from my arm and ran into his embrace. I watched cautiously. She was physically touching him, and talking to him.

“Hey, Bellsy. It’s been too long. What kept you?” he asked her. His voice was distant.

“I'm sorry, Matt. I had business.” She replied.

“I’m happy you returned. It’s so odd here.”

“Matt, I have to ask . . . well, never mind. You can’t tell me where you ended up. You’re only a fragment of a soul.” Bellatrixx whispered to herself. We all heard it anyways.

“I'm sorry. But I have no clue about what you’re talking about.” Matt said. They kissed. Or so it looked.

“I know.” She looked saddened for a flash of a moment, but then turned to L. “Lawliet.”

“Hello, Bellatrixx.” He said, smiling.

I wanted to run up to him and jump all over him. It was really L! I came up behind Bellsy, careful not to be overexcited.

“Mihael. My, you’ve grown.” Ryuzaki said to me.

“L.” Was all I could say. I was speechless. I was talking to Ryuzaki, who had been dead over seven years now.

“You’re surprised?” he asked, his smirk growing.

“Yes. I can’t believe . . .” I reached out to touch his shoulder. I had to see if this was real. “It’s so unreal . . . .”

My fingers touched soft fabric. I pressed. There was flesh there. Cold, but it was solid. I swallowed. What a truly amazing gift Bellatrixx had been given.

“Baby,” Matt said, after kissing Bellatrixx again. “Where’s Rouge?”

Silence fell upon us.

“Ah, yes, Rouge.” L said after a moment. “Matt has talked so much about his little girl, and I’m dying-pardon the pun, to see her.”

Bellatrixx looked down, and fiddled with the collar of Matt’s shirt.

“She’s uhm . . .” she hesitated. “I can’t find her.”

Matt’s face fell. It was obvious that he hadn’t put together two and two, since BB was standing next to him. He had been silent, watching us.

“What do you mean?” Matt asked.

“She’s gone. She was taken away.” Bellatrixx answered quietly.

He looked devastated. Bellatrixx turned his shoulder, wrapped her arm around him, and led him off, away from us.

“Gone?” L asked.

“BB, explain.” I immediately said. “You were with her last.”

“Mello, don’t even start to argue with me. I died for her.” Birthday replied. He kept obvious distance from L. The two were enemies.

“Who took her?”

“Rouge was kidnapped?” Ryuzaki asked.

“I don’t know the guy’s name.” Birthday said. “All I know is that he’s Treashierian. He said he was there for Kira. Then killed me and took Rouge God-knows-where.”

“For Kira?” L asked.

“Light!” I wanted to scream. “You bastard! You’re going to tell her, right?”

“She doesn’t know?” BB asked.

“No!”

“Of course I’ll tell her. As soon as she and Matt return.”