Chapter 2: You!

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Like any other day, I woke up to the sound of my phone beeping obscenely. Frustrated, I pulled the covers over my head, hoping that the noise will magically disappear.

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEEEP

Why does it get louder?! I groggily sprung a hand out and fondled for my phone on the bedside table only to come up empty.

"Ugh!"

Annoyed, I got up from bed and saw through squinty eyes that my phone was not on the table, but smugly on the other side of the room. That's right, I put it there last night. I always forget that part since it's a habit I started only recently. I found that when it's right next to me, I always end up buying new ones. It has nothing to do with me tossing it across the room. None whatsoever.

Now thoroughly awake, I got off my bed and finally shut the goddamn thing up. Not so smug now are you? A yawn involuntarily left my lips as I rubbed my eyes. It's times like this when I questioned what I was thinking picking a morning shift at 7 AM. Oh, wait, I didn't. Some douches, yes plural, decided to take the day off at the very last second, so the new volunteers at the hospital had to take their places. No sane college student should be awake until at least 9 AM and that's just borderline acceptable.

Stifling another yawn, I turned the doorknob and heard a click. Huh? Why did I lock my door? It was then last night's memories came back to me. Shit, there's a vigilante in my apartment. Opening the door just a crack, I peeked out to find no one on my couch, which was now blemished with splotches of blood. All the bloody towels I was too lazy to throw away yesterday night and the blanket were folded and stacked neatly on the coffee table. Even the blood soaked hoodie was gone.

I hesitantly walked towards the small kitchen area. No one there either. Bathroom? Nope, empty. Okay, so he's (hopefully) gone. I breathed a sigh of relief, but I couldn't help feeling worried. I'm not even an official nurse yet, much less a doctor, so I doubt my treatment last night was the best. Did he get to wherever he was going safely; did his stitches open up; he's not bleeding to death somewhere, right?

With these thoughts in mind, I went through with my morning routine and walked to the hospital. The best thing about my apartment is its location. It's right in the middle of the hospital, my workplace, and my university. The hospital is within walking distance and my workplace and university are just a few minutes away by bus.

The first face I see upon arriving at the hospital is my fellow volunteer and best friend Angela. We also share many classes together, which was how we met, and when I found out we volunteered at the same hospital, we grew even closer. No, we are not in a romantic relationship or even getting there. She's in long-distance relationship with her boyfriend. That's not hard to believe since she's quite a beauty with wavy chocolate hair, coffee blended skin, sparkly caramel eyes, and a smile that brightens the room. She's giving me that very same smile right now, although a little weary.

"The morning shift sucks, right?"

Oh yeah, she's also the other newbie that got roped into taking the morning shift.

"Agreed, and we still have our night shifts."

Angela shuddered at the reminder.

"Ugh, I'm trying not to think about it." She sighed. "Anyway, put on your scrubs, there's a patient in room 143 that needs an antibiotics injection."

I raised a brow at her. I also forgot that she can be quite bossy sometimes. Make no mistake, Angela is an authoritative women who will take charge and put you in your place if you dare cross her. I just happen to have some leeway since I'm holding the best friend title. Talk about friends with benefits.