Chapter 3

We made it to the theatre in good time, as they say. But, unfortunately, in the front window was a large sign that read CLOSED FOR RENOVATIONS. Just my luck, I finally get to take a girl to the movies, and their closed.

I pulled into the empty parking lot and stared at the dark building. After about ten seconds of silence, Raven turned to me. "What now?"

I shrugged. "Well, I have some spray paint in the back…" I trailed off as her eyes lit up.

"Some good old-fashioned vandalism. I like it," she said, smiling.

I turned the car off and opened my door. I hadn't realized how cold it was outside. Not subzero or anything, but chilly. It didn't really bother me, but I wasn't so sure about Raven.

I got out anyway, and walked around to the trunk. Mixing my own colors may be my signature thing, but when it comes to spray paint, you can't really mix. So in my spacious trunk, I had nearly every color imaginable. I grabbed a few of the basics: red, blue, white, yellow.

While I stood contemplating whether or not purple was necessary, Raven appeared out of nowhere and reached into the trunk beside me. I jumped a little bit, and she smirked. She picked up cans of orange, purple, green, and black. "Let's have some fun."

Raven and I had very different artistic styles. Hers was raw, with a lot of sharp angles and crude images. She drew things naked (both physically and metaphorically), without embellishment, but they were still beautiful and extremely detailed. Where as my style was more… romanticized. I hinted at crudeness and sharpness, but covered it up with rounded edges and needless decoration. Almost as if I were trying to expose the truth, but afraid of it at the same time.

We had planned on starting at opposite ends and working our way toward the center, but once we got going our images had minds of their own. We weaved back and forth across the wall, nodding and gesturing when our pictures collided to decide who would go where.

An hour later, the left wall of the theatre was covered in graffiti. I hate to call it graffiti, though. When you say it like that it sounds like mindless scribbles on a wall, just trying to get people to notice your name. No, this wasn't graffiti. This was street art. Images of women and animals danced across the wall, some created by Raven and some by me. But all of it was connected, a hundred little pictures united in one composition.

We stepped back to look at our mural in the dim light of the streetlamps. It was the most sensual and beautiful thing I had ever seen.

"Wow," Raven whispered. We had spoken little while we were painting, absorbed in our work.

Then I realized something we forgot. "We should sign it somehow."

Raven nodded and picked up a can of pink, walked over to the bottom right corner (which was conveniently empty), and wrote the letters E+R with a heart around them. I smiled.

She wordlessly set down the pink and stood beside me to look at the painting again, taking my hand in hers.

"You're freezing," I whispered, releasing Raven's hand and putting my arm around her shoulders.

"Yeah," she replied, leaning her head on my shoulder.

"Let's go back to the car. Our work here is done."

~

After warming up in the car, we decided to go to one of my favorite places: we called it "Nevermind" because that's what was painted across the door. It was in the first floor of a seemingly empty building (who knows what went on in the other five floors). It was a place for the… alternative crowd to hang out. It was pretty much one big room, with small rugs and bean-bag chairs scattered across the floor. There was always a semi-decent DJ set up in the corner, playing music loud enough to be heard clearly but not so loud that you couldn't hear yourself think. They had a sort of bar, where they sold drinks pretty cheap and never checked IDs. But my favorite part about Nevermind was that they sold absinthe (which isn't technically legal in the U.S.). If there's one thing I love in this world, it's absinthe.

Raven and I fit right in. We took our seats among the Goths, the Emos, and the punk-rockers, me with my glass of absinthe and her with red wine. For some reason, it made me think of a card or magnet I had seen in a novelty gift shop once: "Red Wine: How classy people get shitfaced". I chuckled to myself. I couldn't picture Raven shitfaced.

I took a seat on a less-than-clean square of carpet and leaned against the wall, assuming that Raven would take the bean-bag chair next to it (remember in elementary school, when everybody sat on the floor in a circle to read stories, but the girls who were wearing skirts got to sit in the chairs?), but everyone knows what happens when you assume. So Raven plopped down gracefully, right in my lap. I almost dropped my absinthe in surprise. Almost. It takes a lot to make me waste a good glass of absinthe. I shifted my glass to my left hand, and wrapped my other arm around her waist. We just sat like that for awhile, sipping our drinks and talking about small things.

All in all, this was turning out to be a pretty great night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OHMYGODPEOPLE I AM SO SORRY IT TOOK ME THIS LONG TO GET THE DAMN CHAPTER UP!!! I have a million excuses, but i dislike people who have a million excuses for everything, and I also dislike hippocrates (i know i spelled that wrong), so i will not bother you, my lovely lovely fans, with my meaningless excuses. (did that sentence make ANY sense whatsoever?.... oh well.) ANYWAYS do you like? should i continue? any suggestions? PLEASE PEOPLE FEEDBACK IS MY DRUG!!! comment and vote :)

love.peace.happiness