Chapter 1 The Nightmare

Enjoy!

BOOM! A cobalt bomb fell from the bell P-39 aircraft above. I was knocked off my feet and my head hit the ground so hard my eyes went black for a moment. The ground shook beneath the force of the bomb and I sat up. I had to get to the door and rush out of my house, as I stumbled towards the door I finally reached it. I turned the sizzling metal knob and felt my hands burn. Luckily, I turned it enough that the door was open a crack.I slid my foot in between it and kicked the door open. My eyes widened in horror as I watched the scene in front of me. Tons of people running everywhere and bits and peices of what used to be people's homes or roofs. I couldn't find my mom in all this craziness I stepped out of the doorway and slid onto the gravel yelling for my mom. Finally I spotted her in the middle of everyone staring up at the sky with wonder. I looked up at the sky in curiosity and saw a bomb heading right her way. I yelled at her but her eyes remained looking up. I ran towards her but at the rate the bomb was traveling I never would've made it. She snapped back into reality and hunched over her stomach, protecting the baby that lay inside. My sister would never be born and I would never get to meet her. I yelled but the bomb already struck. I sat up in my bed gasping and tears in my eyes.

I could feel my heart hammering inside my chest and sweat dripping down my back. I drew a breath of relief as I realized it was just a nightmare. My mom is still alive and so is my sister. I flicked a strand of my dark hair out of my face. I rushed out of my bed and into my mom's room. I slid into the covers and turned to her side. Then I hugged her and she said, " you know you just about gave me a heart attack." "Sorry its just that I had a nightmare." " Tell me what happened." I told her my nightmare and she attentively listened. She gave me a hug and said that everything was fine. She sat up and asked me to help her up. She wobbled towards the kitchen with her hands on her stomach. She asked me what I wanted for breakfast and I told her I wanted some eggs. I ran back into my bedroom and did my bed, I brushed my teeth, and got dressed. I changed into baggy pants and a sweat shirt and I put on my only pair of shoes.(black converse). I combed my dark shoulder-length curls and my ocean blue eyes were as blue as ever. I walked into the kitchen and my eggs and orange juice was set on the table. I sat in my chair and thanked my mom for breakfast. I gobbled my food down and drank my juice,grabbed my plate and cup and put them in the sink.Then I sat back down and watched my mom eat her eggs and asked if after breakfast we were gonna look over her baby book to find out my sister's name.She said she wouldn't mind doing that for a while, so I had her wait for me in her room while I cleaned up the mess. When I came back my mom was on the floor not moving. I ran to her side and felt her neck for a heart beat, I did'nt find one.

I ran for the phone and called 911, I told them what happened and where I lived. Then I sat beside her and shook her till my arms ached. I tryed to tell myself everything was going to be fine but the panic was rising and I couldn't stand seeing her that way. So I half carried-half dragged her body onto the sofa and pretended as if she was just having one of her daily naps. I was already heading towards the door when my mom woke up gasping. I ran to her side and asked if she was ok. She said she was fine and I told her that I had called the ambulance to check on her. A couple minutes later I heard the siren of the ambulance and opened the door for them to come in. One of the guys came up to her and asked," Are you okay maa'm, do you remember anything before you fainted?" "I just remember intense pain and then darkness" she replied. He stood up and said that she was fine and that sometimes women with babies faint from pregnancy pains. He said there was really no need to have called them, that if she ever fainted all you have to do is get rubbing alcohol and put it under her nose. I asked," But what about when she wasn't breathing?" " You felt the wrong area, she was breathing the whole time" I blushed in embarrassment, I guess I over reacted.Before they left they told me to let her rest for a while. So I went to my room and jumped on my bed. I looked around my drab room. The beige walls made me depressed so did the bundle of blankets I called my bed. The curtains were ripped and they brought a musty smell to the room. I was quite poor,we lived in a village with what just barely could be called "houses" around us. I say that because the roofs are made of tin and the walls of dried mud. (Kind of like the Indians.)We had a little market where several people without jobs sold food and used clothes.