Fresh Starts and Sunshine

"And that's the last one?"

"Yep."

"Ok then. Get in the car Katie."

I got into the front seat with a heavy heart. I tried to put on my daily act in front of my mom, but I was dying inside. It's like when your listening to your favourite song and the best part comes on, but then your radio looses connection. Except this feeling is 100 times worse.

**flashback**

"No please!" I begged, knowing it was useless.

"Shut up, you stupid bitch!"

A stabbing pain shot through my left leg.

**ends flashback**

"You okay Katie?" I hadn't realized she had already gotten into the car. I nodded and plugged my earphones into my phone.

Mom had gotten a job in the states, so we were moving. I would finish my senior year there and hopefully get a scholarship to a good college.

I don't want mom to pay the full amount. We weren't rich, but we weren't poor. But my mom has sacrificed basically her whole life for me, I guess it's time I start re-paying the favour.

"Honey," mom turned on the radio, "Are you ok? Something seems to be bothering you."

"I'm fine mom," I said with a sweet smile. And to prove my point, I take my earphones out of my phone and start rocking out to the song on the radio, What Now by Rihanna.

Mom laughed and joined me soon after.

WHAT NOW, I JUST CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT

WHAT NOW, I GUESS

I'LL JUST WAIT IT OUT WAIT IT OUT

WHAT NOW, SOMEBODY TELL ME, WHAT NOW

About an hour later, mom woke me up.

What?

I don't remember going to sleep. Oh well.

"C'mon Katie."

"Wowza! Is this where we're staying?"

"Yep."

This house, or should I say mansion, was amaze balls! It was a creamy off-white colour. There were 6 fully glass windows about as big as our car.

Yeah...WOWZA!

Mom knocked on the door, which opened a couple of seconds later. A woman of average height stood there, looking very elegant. She couldn't have been older than 36. She had blonde hair that cascaded down her back and her skin was a healthy looking cream colour.

Mom and I were the opposite with our brown, mine with blonde tips, hair and tanned skin.

"Layla!" The lady greeted my mom with a hug, like they were best friends. Maybe they were.

"Anna." My mom hugged her back just as sweetly.

"And this must be Katie." I smiled and hugged her, "Corey's at school. He'll be home soon though."

Huh?

Who's Corey?

"Maybe he'll cheer Katie up a bit," mom said, "Come help me with the bags hun."

Anna and I, even though we tried to tell Anna she didn't have to, helped mom carry the bags inside. It was then that I could take in the interior of the house.

As soon as you stepped inside, you were greeted by a massive double sided staircase. On you left would be what looked like the bar, and on your right, the lounge. Anna took us upstairs and all I could do was stand there, gaping at the sight in front of me.

There were 8 rooms, 2 of which were bathrooms. The biggest of the 8, the master bedroom I'm guessing, had a cream theme to it. The sheets were cream with sequin flowers on them. The curtains were an amazing shade of gold, and this room had a bathroom connected to it.

One of the rooms were pink and inside there was a white wardrobe that had picture of fairies and unicorns. I'm guessing this room belongs to a little girl.

The other rooms were similar, but with different colour themes. One, I'm guessing it was Corey's room, was blue with posters of rock bands and desks filled with iPod's, laptops and piles of paper. The door was stuffed with stickers that would say, 'NOT YOUR ROOM', 'GO AWAY', you get the idea.

Next to Corey's room was a room with a purple and blue theme. 2 walls were painted purple and 2 were blue. A queen bed stood in the middle of the room, a black and white picture of the Eiffel Tower above the bed head. The sheets were a magnificent shade of blue. There was a desk in the corner piled with make-up and technology. There was even a bathroom.

"This is your room," Anna said to me.

"What?" This couldn't be my room. It was way too special and...it just couldn't be!

"This is your room Katie," Anna could tell I was shocked. I mean, who couldn't?! "I went shopping and bought you some new clothes. I didn't know your size, so..."

Anna walked over to the closet and pulled out a cute little dress. The top half was lace with a black belt across the waist. The bottom half was a cute little pink skirt.

I went up to her and hugged her. I think I cut of her oxygen. I was so happy!

"MOM!" a voice shouted from downstairs "I'M HOME!"

"UP HERE COREY!"

Corey?

About 10 seconds later, a boy about 18 (same age as me), appeared in my doorway. He had styled dark brown hair that flopped onto his eyes which were an amazing shade of blue. He was tanned, unlike his mother, and well built. He was pretty sexy too.

STOP KATIE!

But he was just...swoon.

"Corey," Anna broke my self lecture, "This is Layla and Katie."'

"Hey," he shook mom's hand first then mine "I'm Corey Davis." He looked me up and down, a smirk appearing on his face, before smiling at me.

The way he was shamelessly checking me out, in front of our parents, made me feel really awkward, but strangley nice.

KATIE!

"Katie's going to need a ride to and from school."

"What?" Whenever I was near this guy I'd be swooning, even though I just met him, "Oh no that's fine. I'll just take my board."

"You skate?" Corey asked, looking confused. I could see why.

I was wearing a skirt and a top. I managed to look sophisticated and all, but I was a skater at heart. I would just chuck on some shorts and Vans and off I went.

I answered Corey's question by nodding, avoiding eye contact.

"Cool," Corey was smiling, "I'll take you to the skate park later."

"There's a skate park?" I asked looking up and smiling, pretty sure my eyes were sparkling.

Corey chuckled, "Yeah."

There was never a skate park back where we used to live. I've always wanted to go to one.

"Well," mom said, "I'm gonna change out of this."

"I'll go get y'all some cake and cookies."

"And then there were two," I murmured.

Corey laughed, making my insides tingle.

KATIE MORRISON!

"I'm gonna change outta this," I muttered more to myself.

"Ok," Corey started back to his room, "I'll be in that room if you need me!" he said, gesturing to the room next to mine.

"Ok," I couldn't get the idea of the skate park out of my head, "Hey, do you think we could go skating today?"

"Aren't you tired?" he asks peeking out

"Nah," I really wanted to go to that skate park "I'm fine."

"Ok then," he says before ducking back in, "Be ready in 15."