Chapter 10

New day, new memory trip

Once again they were back in the house. Arthur asked if Alfred was showing him another one of their affairs, he shook his head. Arthur didn't know if he should trust him or not, but he decided to follow him anyway.

He skipped another season. The winter days were back, colder and harsher than last year. Arthur watched them watch TV, hearing himself saying bullshit about the politics. Alfred was laying with his head on his lap, watching him intensely. He could see his ocean blue eyes flashing when Arthur bullshits another politician, softly chuckling at his comments.

Arthur didn't know why Alfred was showing this memory. It wasn't a very special one. Most likely a normal thing they would do in the night. Watching TV while he criticizes about anything and everything while Alfred just listens. Those were his thoughts, until...

"Hey Artie, do you want to be the king of the world?" Arthur stopped mid-rant and stayed silent for a while. After a minute or say he shook his head.

"Why?" Alfred nuzzles his lap. "Why not? Well do you want to be a queen?" He tilted his head. Arthur looked at him, as if he was joking. "No I don't want to be a queen"

"Then..." He sat up, looking at him with his intense eyes. "Would you be my queen?". A pale pink blush spread over his cheeks. He nods. "If there is a world where titles wouldn't be gender specific, then yes, I would gladly be your queen." He kisses his forehead.

"Your only queen"

Alfred smiles. He gently stroked his soft, pale cheek. "If you are the only queen that I will ever have." He  sat up and pulled him into an embrace. "Then I swear I shall protect you." Arthur closes his eyes. He could hear the TV talking in the background, he could hear more bullshit. At the moment he didn't care. "With your life?"

"With my life." He vows. Arthur could feel a smile forming on his lips. If there really was a world where kingdoms have non-gender specific titles and he'd be the queen, he'll have Alfred as his one and only king. He is the only one that can occupy the title, that can work together with him, that can help him reign a whole kingdom.

He sighs again. "Even if you had to kill someone dear?"

Silence. He knew he shouldn't have gone that far. He knew he shouldn't ask such a question. Alfred's relationship with his family was indestructible. Of course he'd choose family over him. Of course he would...

"If Matthew has ever threatened to kill you, kidnap you, torture you, then I swear as a king's duty I shall protect my queen, even if it meant killing my own brother"

Arthur was speechless with his answer. For once Alfred sounded serious. Not his usual goofy voice, no, he held meaning in that answer. He really meant stabbing a sword through his brother's chest, just to protect him.

"Am I really that important?"

Arthur could feel him hugging him tighter, grabbing his shirt.

"You are everything I wished for, Artie"

Arthur looks up, he was smiling at him.

"You are everything I ever wanted to protect, Artie"

Arthur felt tears welling up. He buries his head in his chest, refusing to let him see him cry. He felt a comforting hand stroking the back of his head.

"And if something ever takes you away from me, I won't be able to live for a second."

Arthur was speechless. He had never heard Alfred being this serious. He has never seen Alfred this serious, at least, the Alfred he is with now. He has seen kind, loving Alfred and he has seen an insane, breaking down Alfred, but he has never seen this Alfred, serious Alfred that will actually...be a hero...