22. Nowhere

__________________________

The steps stopped.
And then turned back his way.

Taekwoon soon stood eye-to-eye with his mother whose face displayed a rather bitter look. It was not surprising though because probably, even she understood the weight of what her son just had heard through his eavesdropping.

"Mother... What do you really have against Cha Hakyeon?" Taekwoon asked in a low voice.

His mother broke eye contact for a moment, as if hesitating before she confidently looked up again. Her voice took a soft and kind of coaxing tone when speaking, as if talking to a child.

"He'll drag you down sweetie. Everything we have worked for will be-"

"What... have we worked for?" Taekwoon answered with a voice rising in volume and eyes not joking around, before he added in a weaker tone, "What do you think I have worked for...?"

A filling silence followed the spoken question which his mother couldn't seem to answer. The air was heavy, making every breath go deep in and out their lungs and their eyes - they stuck deep to each other's with a certain stubbornness. That's when Taekwoon's phone started ringing again and this time, he picked it up.

"Mm? Hakyeon?"
"What? Wonshik is... Okay..."
"I'll search at the shop then."

He hung up and passed by his mother who had started tugging silently on her lower lip in frustration. Taekwoon would have touched her reassuringly on the shoulder or at least looked back at his poor parent, but something about the pure thought of it made him nauseous.

What do you think I have worked for?

The question to which no answer had been uttered but Taekwoon didn't need it. He knew his parents well.

Hakyeon kept his hand on Ken's back as he comforted the younger who by now had calmed down a bit. Seeing that, Hakyeon decided to try to get some answers out to clear the confusion.

"How do you know Wonshik?" He asked.

Ken looked up with a shy gaze, sniffled and then dried his tears off with his shirt arm.

"Wonshik, he..." The younger's voice was unstable, shaking but yet warm like it was talking about something precious, "He really likes you Hakyeon-hyung. He even went as far as doing this..."

"Ken... do you like him?"

"I do. But he likes you."

Tugging on his lower lip, Hakyeon remained silent, not sure of what to answer. Seemingly, Ken was really hung up on the specific direction of Wonshik's love interest. Was it because they were friends? Or because of jealousy?

"Was he good in bed?" Ken's voice suddenly was heard from beside.

Hakyeon choked on his spit and he got stuck staring at the younger, unsure if he had misheard the question. Ken looked serious though, serious and kind of sulky. Hakyeon scratched his neck, trying to think of something.

"H-He wasn't that good..."

"He wasn't?"

"No..."