Folly of Youth

Vincent didn't have much to pack so he got started reading through the file.  There were three scientists in total.  Vincent studied their names but didn't look too closely at their projects or work.  He had little interest in what vanity projects they were developing.  When it was time he headed to the helipad.  He would be flown to Nibelheim and left to fulfill his duties.  The helicopter ride was routine, Vincent was almost bored with the proceedings.  When he spotted Nibelheim he began to fear this would be a long uneventful assignment. 

There was no helipad inside of Nibelheim so the copter landed just outside.  Vincent grabbed his belongings and jumped out, waving when he was clear.  The helicopter flew away as he walked between the wooden posts of the gate.  The town beyond was small, and it reminded him of Kalm somewhat, except for the looming presence of the Nibel mountains.  A rickety windmill spun in the center of the town over a well.  People occasionally moved through the streets about their own business.  Some of them glanced a few times at him.  In his suit he stood out. 

Vincent walked on towards the two story mansion in the distance.  There was a sturdy five foot stone wall around the perimeter that heartened him some.  He walked through the gate and took a few moments to survey his surroundings.  There was a field of wildflowers and a few trees.  The wind rustled the leaves and caused the flowers to nod.  Vincent knew that keeping the mansion secure by himself was going to be a bit of a challenge, but at least the villagers seemed friendly.  He walked toward the front door and opened it.  He could have sighed when it offered no resistance.  Didn't they even think to lock it? 

The entry hall was empty with sparse furnishing.  Vincent saw rooms to his left and right; a large staircase curved up the right wall leading to the second floor.  He wondered where he should look for people or who he should report to.  He set his things down beside the door, closing and locking it before venturing into the house.  Across the entry hall was a doorway that lead into another hall.  Vincent could hear someone to his left so he turned that way.  He found a room with a full grand piano and a dining table; a woman stood in front of him.  Vincent stood straight, his arms still by his sides and his attention focused towards her. 

"Vincent Valentine, reporting for duty ma'am.  I've been assigned your protection."  She gasped and whispered 'no,' under her breath. 
"Huh?" Vincent asked. 
"Why would they...send his..." she faded off staring to the side, clearly lost in her thoughts. 
"Excuse me?" Vincent asked, tilting his head to try and make eye contact. 

"Oh!  Oh, I apologize." she said raising her head.  "This is...the first time I have ever met anyone from the Turks." the sentence was rushed as she nervously looked around.  Then she sighed and raised her head.  "Lucrecia Crescent," she said smiling warmly.  "Pleased to make your acquaintance, Mr. Valentine." 

That smile was the beginning of something special though Vincent didn't know it at the time.  He eventually found and introduced himself to the other two scientists and was shown the room that he would be staying in.  He developed a routine waking early, eating quickly, and scouting along the inside of the house before moving to the field outside.  Days turned to weeks, and then to months as he worked.  Eventually he began to relax in the familiarity of routine.  He sat down under a tree to rest his tired eyes. 

He woke to the sound of Lucrecia calling his name.  He blinked. 
"Fall asleep here and you might catch a cold."  She teased.  He opened his eyes startled to see her leaning over him.  He gasped sitting up quickly, his hands coming forward defensively.  She gasped as well, startled by his sudden movement and stepped back as he looked around. 
"Why are you so surprised?" she asked.  "Is my face that hideous?"  There was a slight tone of hurt in her voice causing Vincent to return his attention to her. 
"No.  I didn't...I'm sorry." he stammered. 
"And how are you supposed to be my bodyguard if you're up here sleeping?" she asked slightly mocking.  Then she turned those beautiful brown eyes towards him, expectant. 
"Uh, the warm breeze.  I was...only going to rest my eyes for a minute."