Chosen Path

It took Vincent a moment to recall who this man was; the dark hair and vibrant blue eyes. 

"Zack," he finally acknowledged.  Zack looked surprised. 
"So you know my name.  Well, I suppose that makes us even.  You're name is Vincent right?"  Vincent nodded, not sure how Zack had learned his name, but he agreed it was fair that they knew each other. 
"Where are we?" 

The door burst open admitting the small blonde haired boy that looked like Cloud.  He jumped through the opening door and unleashed a small child-like roar toward his father, his small hands held up like claws.  Zack looked like he was trying to appear displeased, but was having difficulty. 

"Did I scare you daddy?" the boy asked. 
"Connor, what have I told you about coming in here?" 
"Not to, but did I scare you?"  Vincent could see the corners of Zack's mouth struggling to stay where they were and not smile. 
"Not this time.  Why don't you go find Tara."  Connor's expression fell. 
"But dad, she's playing with her dolls."  This time Zack did smile. 
"I'm sure you two can find something to play together." 
"Okay," Connor said in dissappointment.  He walked sulkily out of the room. 
"Connor, you forgot the door." Zack called.  Connor turned back. 
"Sorry," he said as he pulled it closed.  He didn't quite pull it hard enough to make it latch and Zack shook his head as it swung back open.  He turned to Vincent. 

"Kids, am I right?"  Vincent blinked in surprise. 
"I wouldn't know."  Zack frowned. 
"You mean...you've never had children?"  Vincent shook his head.  He kept his mind from thinking about Lucrecia's child.  Instead he thought of Marlene and Denzel.  He had seen them only occassionally while they were still children.  They grew quickly into adults as far as he was concerned.  Vincent noticed that Zack was staring at him and stared back. 
"What about, cousins, neices, nephews?"  Vincent shook his head. 
"I was an only child.  I never saw much of my extended family."  Zack shook his head. 

"You really are a lone wolf.  I thought that kind of thing was just an expression.  So no family then?"  Vincent shook his head.  "What about friends?  You must have had friends?"  Vincent thought back to his days as a Turk.  He hadn't had many friends then, and all his friends he'd met after were now dead.  He shrugged.  "A crush, lover, fiance?"  This time Vincent couldn't help it.  Memories of Lucrecia poured into his mind.  He closed his eyes trying to stem the tide but it didn't help. 

"I'm sorry," Zack was saying.  "I shouldn't have asked."  Vincent shook his head, but didn't comment further.  "It looks like something bad happened." 
"You could say that." 
"I'm sorry," Zack repeated as if unsure what else he could say. 
"It's...fine.  You didn't know.  So where are we?"  Zack's smile returned. 
"My house.  You've been staying here for a week or so.  It's good to see you finally awake."  Vincent nodded.  He must have been badly injured indeed, or sorely lacking blood after that incident with the vampires. 

"I'll go get some food."  Zack offered standing to leave.  He pulled the door open just as the patter of small feet reached the top of the stairs.  Zack soon had two little heads bobbing around his knees to peer at Vincent. 
"What are you two doing?" he asked. 
"Connor said he was awake so I wanted to come and see."  Tara smiled at Vincent.  "Thank you for saving us!"  Vincent nodded. 

"All right, that's enough.  Come on.  Let's go get him some food." 
"Okay!" the kids chimed happily as they turned to race back down the stairs.  Zack followed them pulling the door most of the way close behind him.  Vincent slid to the edge of the bed and tested his legs to see if they would support his weight.  He slowly stood, his legs wobbling a little as he did so.  He stepped across to the window and looked out.  He could see the miles of trees beyond the small yard below.  It looked like a small island of light green in a sea of forestry.