Chapter 2

Rules govern us. Without rules, chaos erupts.

-Unknown

Mahtab's POV

"So Assassin is evil and Percy wants our help to stop her?" I ask Annabeth. She nods. A group of demigods are gathered in the other room to go to Stark Towers to help out. Amy and Lilliana were here, which made me happy because they were the closest things I had to friends in camp. Also here were Piper McLean and Jason Grace, two of the seven. Hazel and Frank were in New Rome and Leo had either died or gone missing at the end of the Giant War (I can never get a straight answer on that one). Nico Di Angelo was here, the Nico who helped out with the war, along with the Stoll twins and Katie Gardner, who was dating Travis Stoll. Will Solace was a little late (something about reversing a rhyming curse), but he'd be here too. Thaila Grace (Jason's sister) would be arriving later after she finished tracking a monster. Clarissa La Rue was here with her electric spear Lamer (sorry, Maimer). I was the last to arrive and Annabeth was catching me up. And that was it. Annabeth looked like she was expecting someone else though.
  "Who else is coming?" I ask her. "An old friend." She says. Then she considers it. "More like we met once and she didn't kill me." "Who are they?" I ask again. "Her name is Xanasós. She's-" "Right here." A voice from the corridor said.

  Xanasós's POV

"Xanasós, pleased to meet ya." I say sticking out my gloved hand to the girl who was talking to Annabeth. "Mahtab." She said. "Daughter of Athena." "Are we doing full introductions? If so, I'm Xanasós, daughter of Boreas. The North Wind." I see her eyeing my crossbow. Eh. I am holding it pretty tightly. But when am I not? "Do you ever take off that hood?" She asked. Oh. I'd forgotten I had it on. "Sorry." I say, pulling it down. She looks a little shocked, which is understanding. It's no natural fact to have two different colored eyes, one red and one blue. Most find it distorting. Somebody once tried to nickname me bug eyes. Didn't work out. Like I say, I almost always have my crossbow.
   Almost like I was boasting, I tossed my crossbow in the air, catching it as it comes back down. Her eyes follow it, as expected. Rule number one: always keep your eye on the weapon. I toss it up again, but this time higher. As expected, her eyes follow it once more. But when the crossbow lands, it lands on the carpet. Because she doesn't know rule two: if I'm in the room, always disregard rule one.
  I'm standing behind her, a handgun pointing at her head. She turns around, mouth shaped comically like an 'o'. "Wha-" I cut her off. "You need to work on that. You're too easily tricked. That's the oldest trick in the book." I put my gun in the hidden holster. Man, I love this cloak.
   "Can I have my crossbow back?" I ask Annabeth, who had picked it up. She hesitantly handed it back. "That's an amazing weapon." She compliments. "Thanks. I'm flattered." "What's it made of?" Mahtab asked. I trace the cracks on the crossbows surface. I'm about to answer when Annabeth's phone rings. She apologizes and motions for us to continue, but we both are silent and trying to hear the conversation. "Everyone's here." She says. A pause. "Thirteen including me, and Thaila will be here later." She listens. "Me, Jason, Piper, Nico, Travis, Connor, Katie, Will, Clarrise, three new-ish kids brought be Assassin, and an old friend of mine." "We'll be there soon." Annabeth hangs up. "Come on guys. We need to go."