Reconciliation

It felt like days. Hiccup sat on the floor, arms around his legs, forehead on his knees, berating himself. Stupid stupid stupid.

Toothless sat at his feet, crooning sadly as he attempted to console his boy. Ever since he reappeared, the human was acting strange. He did not ride him out in the sun, not that Toothless didn't like night rides, but it was strange. The boy acted differently. Was it the leather? Was it the kind, dark skin man? What happened while he was missing?

If Toothless ever found who broke his boy, surely, he would maul them.

The dragon's attention was returned to the teen as he shuddered. His fingers twitched, his breathing was harsh, but the dragon did not smell the salt of tears.

"Why am I so pathetic?" Hiccup whispered. A pathetic excuse for a man.

He grasped his head and frantically shook at his mahogany locks. "What am I supposed to tell her?" He asked his friend.

Toothless had a few words, but being a dragon, he could not say them.

A knock came from the door.

"Just a minute." He called, his heart racing. He stood to answer, but fear stopped him. Not yet. He stole the mask from the corner where he threw it, and secured it, fastening the clasps on his jacket as he went to the door.

It was Astrid. She looked dismal and incredibly small with slumped shoulders and somber mien. He smiled tenderly, but she didn't see it.

"Please, come in." He moved to the side.

She sauntered, all perk and fight gone. He saw the puffy eyelids, the bloodshot irises; she had been crying. The fact that he caused it made him feel sick.

"Tea?"

"Oh, I'm-..." Before she could refuse, a ceramic mug was in her hands. "Thank you." She took a small sip. Astrid noticed the onyx dragon curled up peacefully by the fire, but didn't have a chance to think much about it.

Before anything else was said, Wart stated clearly. "I'm not the one responsible for it. Please don't blame me."

"I know, and it was wrong of me to accuse you." She said softly.

The overwhelming politeness scared the teen, she wasn't usually like this. It was just another example of all the damage he had done.

"But, the question of marriage is still out?"

"Why me?" She countered.

That was a good question. Obviously it was her beauty, her zest, her power, and the tiniest traces of kindness and love in between. He could have said that, but technically, he had only known her for a couple days, and he didn't want to come off creepy. He finally answered, "You were Hiccup's, and I wanted to make sure you were cared for." That sounded nice.

"Well, I'm flattered and that's kind of you, but just for the moment, you aren't my favorite person."

He laughed and then blurted. "I'm sure you'll be in my arms by the end of the night."

"What's that supposed to mean?" She narrowed her eyes.

Oops. "Nothing." He cleared his throat. "But, won't you please think about it?"

"I already have, and the answer is no. There is no good reason to say yes!"

"Not even for your tribe?"

She was silent, trying to think of a rebuttal.

"Stoick told me that he picked you to take up my-...er, Hiccup's place in case he never came back."