Perilous

It was their wedding day. Couldn't it have just stayed that way? Astrid was glad that the whole problem with Savage and Dagur was being finished in one fail swoop, but why did it have to come to this?

Sadly, if she was to ask him to choose between her and Toothless, the answer was obvious. Astrid had been cruel to him for years. But Toothless...the bond between Dragon and boy was infrangible. He had always been there for the boy, even when no one else was. They depended on each other, trusted each other, loved each other. It was if they were twins, separated at birth and by species. No, they were soul mates. Astrid knew there was an unspoken agreement between the two, to protect each other, no matter what.

Dagur snickered. "You want to fight me? Do you remember what happened the last time?"

"The last time," Wart implored, "was a friendly spar. Lives are on the line, Dagur."

"Fine. I'll play your game. But I get to pick the condition of the fight."

"What are your conditions?"

Dagur beamed. "No shields, no armor, only one weapon." He laughed. "Oh, and no dragons."

Astrid and Stoick looked to the boy, mortified, as he agreed, "Deal."

He stood, his footsteps lingering as a fear bubbled up in his chest. Yet, he would not back down.

Astrid followed behind, dutifully. A buzzing went through the crowd, everyone getting excited.

The four teens in the stands were silent.

Down by the gate to the arena, Toothless and Mwaba were already waiting. The giant held out a hilt of a sword, but that was all it was, a hilt. It was reminiscent of a dragon's head, it's mouth open.

"I brought yoo Inferna, t'ought yoo might need et."

"Thanks, Mwaba, but no. I'm not going to take a weapon in."

Astrid grabbed his arm. "You said it yourself, the last time you faced him, it was for fun. He has something to fight for now. He won't go easy on you."

"I have something to fight for too." With that, he removed his jacket and shirt, folded them up, and set them on the ground. "Astrid, if something goes wrong, please take care of Toothless."

"I will." She said softly. "Just...promise me it won't go wrong." She repeated her promise from the day he was to fight the Monstrous Nightmare. Everything did go wrong back then as well.

He didn't answer. Toothless nudged against his waist, eliciting a low whine from his throat. Soundlessly, the teen reach out a hugged his loyal friend. "It's gonna be okay, bud."

Toothless nuzzled against his shoulder.

"I'm waiting!" Shouted Dagur, seeing the shadows in the entryway. The crowd was getting restless as well, cheering, "Wart! Wart! Wart!"

Hiccup let go of Toothless, but not without a kiss to his snout. Then he turned to Mwaba. "Nilipo Mluzi, mimi nataka wewe kufungua mlango."When I whistle, I want you to open the gate.

Mwaba nodded heavily.

Finally, he held up his hand to Astrid and she grasped it heartily. "You're not going at this alone."

"I never was." He grinned. He pulled away and stepped forward. "Okay."

Dagur leered at the approaching figure. This was it, one last causality, and then the Nightfury would be his. After all, this kid didn't hold a candle to his fighting skills. And above all, he finally would see the face of his opponent.