Chapter 7

Adelpha's POV:

I honestly don't know how long I can keep this up. It was relatively easy to hide my self harm and self medication before, but now's different. Everybody pays attention to me, they ask me what I think, they act like they care what happens to me. It's new to me, to be honest.

It's been a week and a half since Alexander William Gaskarth told me he wanted to adopt me. Two days later, we were living in the same house. A few days after, I was signing papers to legally take his last name and he would become my legal parent.

Now I'm sitting in the room that I've been staying in for the whole time, wondering why.

Why would he want such a fuck-up as a kid? I mean, the depression and actually wanting to die isn't obvious, but I can't do anything right. I'm not a pretty girl who has great social skills and is great with people. In fact, I'm quite the opposite. So why adopt me? Pity?

All of these thoughts caused me to bring out the little rectangular piece of pain I had been keeping for years.

I remember the first time I cut.

I was ten.

I didn't know it was a real thing, and I just wanted a way to escape. A way to match inside to outside.

It was also after the first time someone told me to kill myself. It was my eighteen year old cousin, Daniel.

After I did it, I was slightly proud. Creepy, right? Everyone had always told me that I deserve to suffer, and that's why I was always abused. So I had finally gotten the courage to do what everyone told me.

But I never told anyone. Minutes after, I felt like a freak. A freak who had cut open the skin of their own wrists for the sake of showing myself that I wasn't worth it.

That I should die.

Almost two years later, my mother figured out about my self harm. I had been doing it regularly, and she found the open cuts.

She was livid, to say the least.

I couldn't let anything touch my back for weeks, let alone my bruised sides.

These memories just made me dig harder into my wrists with the piece of shiny metal.

There goes being clean for three days.

"Adelpha! The guys are here!" I checked the clock. It was 8:30 AM, just the time they said they would be here to discuss and plan days off during tour.

I placed my blade back into the bag with its friends, and put the bag in its new hiding spot behind my shirts in my closet.

"Coming!" I replied to Alex.

I quickly made my way downstairs to be greeted with an extremely tight hug from Jack. And being the giant that he is, he lifted me off the ground easily. Hugging him back caused a slight pain in my wrists, but I said nothing.

"Hugs!" Jack exclaimed before he put me down.

.

The band and crew all sat at and around the couch, talking about things to do around the areas we would be at. When they finished, they began chatting about different guitars.

Alex Gaskarth's POV:

We were talking about pick guards, what specific shapes and materials do and how they look. I walked back into the room from the bathroom, and heard Jack talking about one type of pick guard he liked.