Chapter 37

Adelpha's POV:

As I put clean dishes away, I could hear the vacuum in the other room continue to echo throughout the house.

I picked up another glass to put away, and realized the bottom shelf was full of glasses and cups already. I stood on my toes to reach up, my height disabling me.

"Fuck, come on," I whispered to nobody in particular. My arm continued to strain as I reached up.

As soon as I thought I had the glass on the edge of the shelf, I moved my hand down. The glass toppled for a second before falling to the ground, smashing against my lowering hand.

"What was that?" I heard Alex call from the other room. I heard his footsteps grow closer to the kitchen. "Ad, you alright?" I heard his voice behind me, and I quickly spun around with my hand behind my back.

Fuck.

"Yeah, I'm so sorry, it was an accident, I couldn't reach the shelf, I'm so sorry, it's my fault-"

"Hey, it's okay," Alex replied in a softer tone. He looked down, seeing the glass shards that decorated the tile floor near me.

I saw he noticed what had happened, and went into defensive mode. I slowly backed away a few inches until my lower back hit the counter. "I'm so sorry, it was my fault, I swear I didn't try to," I looked down as I continued to apologize.

Alex was quick to bring my face up to look him in the eyes. I flinched away before he continued to look at me softly. "What did I say about apologizing? I want you to give me a reason, right?"

"Y-Yeah... I broke the glass."

"I know, and you apologized once for it. You don't need to apologize several times, accidents happen, I know. It's okay." He gave a soft smile before looking back down, focusing on the arm I held behind my back. "You sure you're okay?" Alex slowly pulled my wrist, flipping my hand over, palm-up. He examined the few bleeding cuts on my palm and fingers.

"Here, put that under some warm water, I'll be right back, and then we can clean this up." The brown-haired man flipped the faucet on, leading my hand under the stream. He ran off to a closet, coming back with a small box, a dustpan, and a broom.

He took bandages from the small cardboard box, examining the cuts on my hand once more before covering them. Helping me clean the shards of broken glass, I felt him carefully watching me as I moved.

"You okay?"

I nodded. "Why wouldn't I be?"

He smiled briefly before explaining, "Didn't want you to think I was mad or anything. Accidents happen."

I nodded softly with a small smile. "Thank you," I replied quietly.

Alex nodded before turning around and walking back to what he had been doing.

.

One cut.

Two cuts.

Three cuts.

Soon, blood began pouring over the surface of my wrist. The scarlet liquid trickled from the cuts.

End it. You aren't worth it. Only a freak finds comfort in hurting themselves like you have. You aren't worth the help you've been given.

Fear began to rise in my mind as the shiny blade was dragged across my wrist again.

This was new.

I was afraid. I couldn't stop myself from cutting into the skin with the sharp metal, even though I wanted to. I wanted to stop, and I was afraid that I might not be able to.