Chapter 47

"I'll see you later, Adelpha! Your dad'll be home soon," Lisa said as she waved goodbye.

"See you later!"

I looked back at the book I was reading, happy knowing that Alex would be home soon instead of going out and coming home drunk.

Several minutes passed.

6:30. He probably got caught up in traffic, it can be terrible here.

Another hour passed.

Got caught up at the studio, had to stay late, it happens all the time.

Later, 10:30... I hope he's okay.

I placed my book down, reaching for my phone. I went to Alex's contact, and write a text.

You okay? You said you'd be home by six :/

I didn't receive a reply, and assumed his phone died after not charging it at the studio.

Midnight. Where the hell is he?

Only minutes later, the singer stumbled through the door. I stood up, setting my phone down.

"Hey, it's past midnight, are you okay?" I asked, concerned.

Alex laughed. "Yeaaah," he slurred. "Why wouldn't I be?" His voice pitch dropped and raised as he spoke.

My face fell and my shoulders slumped. "Oh." I looked down to the ground. "I thought you said you'd be home by six."

"I did?" Alex hiccuped drunkenly. "Oops. What time is it?"

Before I could tell him the time again, he answered his own question. "Adventure Time!" He grinned at me, tripping over his own feet in the process.

"Ow." He sat up and giggled.

Tears began to fill my eyes, but I refused to let them fall. I shook my head, and swiftly traveled up the stairs. I slammed my door shut, ignoring Alex's question of what the sound was. I locked the door, crouching against the wall.

I should've known. It's not as if he really cared about a worthless freak anyway, who could blame him?

I continuously used my hands to stop tears from flowing out, and grabbed my phone. I went to Jack's contact, and hit the dial button.

It rang once, twice, three times. I received his voicemail.

"Dammit," I breathed out. I hit call again.

"Hey, this is Jack, leave-" I hit the end button again.

He's probably drunk off his ass, too.

I went to call Zack. No luck.

I hit the back of my head against the wall, closing my eyes. I heard Alex knock a few times and say something I couldn't understand, sticking around the door for a couple minutes before becoming distracted and finding something else to do.

I stood and quickly stumbled over to my desk, looking through blurry eyes to open and shut the drawers. Finally, I found what I was looking for.

I went into my bathroom and locked it for extra measures, then removed the small blade from my Exacto-Knife. It was small, but it was extremely sharp.

I promised Alex to talk to him. I promised I wouldn't do this.

And he promised to get home sober by six.

I didn't think he meant six in the morning.

With shaky hands, I lifted the sharp metal to my left wrist. I dragged the point across my pale flesh, finding brief comfort in the quickly surfacing blood and the pain coming from it.