Chapter 31

Adelpha's POV:

After the paramedic had asked Alex to wait over by his car after continually causing me to move or practically hanging on me, the man cleared me to go. He instructed me to see a hospital if I have more problems, and I thanked him as I slowly walked towards Jack and Alex.

Jack smiled all the time- it was one of my favorite things about him, if you were sad, his happiness pretty much rubbed off on you. But when he smiled this time, it was different. His grin lit up his entire face and body, and I feared he would stretch his mouth so much from that smile that he would give himself Joker-style scars.

He hugged me tightly before releasing me to make sure I was okay. I ignored the pain in my entire body, and hugged him back once he released me. I didn't care if I would open the cuts and bruises around my body, I was just ecstatic to see Alex and Jack.

"Thank you for being alive," Jack mumbled in my ear.

"Thank you for helping me stay alive," I replied quietly, tears beginning to run down my face. Not from sadness or stress, from the happiness of seeing someone who actually cared about me after everything that happened.

"Come on, let's get to the hotel before it gets too dark," Alex grinned, hugging me after. "We'll go home tomorrow."

I nodded into his chest. "Okay."

I leaned against Jack in the backseat as Alex began the drive to the hotel. My eyes began to slip shut as we drove through the dark streets of Montepelier.

Jack chuckled lightly, and I felt his chest move with his laugh. "You can go to sleep, I'll bring you into the hotel when we get there," he said quietly.

"Mmh," I breathed out in response. I felt Jack's chest move again with a brief silent chuckle.

"Go to sleep."

And with that, I fell unconscious easier than any time in the past few weeks.

.

I slowly opened my eyes, my mind shouting at me to wake up before I get in trouble.

I realized I wasn't where I was before, I was in a soft warm bed, and I saw the white sheets and common furniture of a hotel room. Jack lied in the bed, protectively curling around me, my face near his t-shirt-clad chest.

I remembered being brought outside and back to Jack and Alex.

I looked for the time on the clock to see it was ten after six in the morning. I easily decided to go back to sleep, and cuddled back into a sleeping Jack's embrace.

.

We all didn't wake up again until around noon, sitting on our beds groggily. I ran my hand through my hair, and acknowledged Jack's lazy arm around my shoulders with a small lean towards him.

Alex stood up, ruffling my hair both comfortingly and playfully. "You okay, kid?"

I shrugged, my sore body hurting as I did so.

He gave a small tired smile. "Don't worry. It'll be okay." He walked around to find clothes that were actually clean, and slowly walked to the bathroom.

I jumped when there was a loud knock at the door. Jack looked at me with concern, and got up to answer it.

There was a little bit of talking, then Jack came back in. He was holding my suitcase.

"They had your stuff, giving it back," he said softly.

I nodded. "Thank you, s-" I replied softly, cutting myself off. There was no need for that anymore, I guessed.