whats love got to do with it?

Niall was ushered away with a simple flick of the wrist and goodbye from Harry, but nothing from me. I was led inside with the door quickly closed and locked behind me. To be honest, I was terrified. I was bracing myself for the evil Harry to come out from hiding and punish me like he did the last time.

Harry’s protective hold on me was gone as he moved to stand in front of me. I just kept staring at the floor, hoping he would go away, but to no avail.

“Veronica. Look at me,” he broke the silence with a surprisingly calm tone.

I didn’t want to, but what choice did I have? With reluctance, I lifted my head slowly so that I was now looking at my captor. I tried to search his eyes for a sign of malevolence, but there was none to behold. Just those regular green orbs that I had come to love.

“I thought you loved me. What happened to that?”

That was the only thing he said to make my heart sink. The way he asked that question was enough to make me feel bad for leaving Harry. But I shouldn’t. Not even in the slightest. And what surprised me even more was that he didn’t even sound angry, just hurt.

Then, it was like I had an epiphany. Like all of my feelings burst in my mind all at once, and I couldn’t control them. “I do love you Harry. A lot. You’re the first boy that I’ve even done anything with. How could I not fall in love with you?”

A ghost of a smile played on his lips, but it soon disappeared. So I continued. “I didn’t run away because I don’t love you, I ran because I miss my home. I miss my dad.”

He sighed and took my hands in his, rubbing soothing circles. I was pulled close and a light kiss was placed just below my earlobe, causing a tiny shiver to sliver up my spine.

“Do you not remember what I told you before?” His eyes were pleading with mine, gripping my shoulders tightly. “They don’t miss you. Not even your dad.”

“I don’t believe you,” I abruptly said, the tone of my voice rising in volume. It was the truth. I didn’t believe him. After all, he was talking about my dad. The man who raised me after Mom died when I was a baby.

“If I show you that I’m right, will you finally give me a chance?” Harry was serious about his proposition. I could see the knowing swirling in his eyes.

I knew it was a big risk to comply with him, but what other choice did I have? “Yes. But only if you let me go if you’re wrong.”

I could tell he was having a hard time coping with my half of the compromise. “Okay.”

I felt like I had actually accomplished something, so I hugged Harry tightly, feeling good about myself. When I tried to pull away, he just wouldn’t let go.

“In case I’m wrong, I need to savor every moment we have together,” he said sweetly. The way he clung to me was like I was going to leave any minute now.

Truthfully, I wanted to savor this moment too. This might be the last time I ever get hugged by a boy. But no particular boy. This boy was Harry.

“Are you ready?” Harry and I were parked beside the curb near my house. I was waiting with bated breath, eager to find out the truth.

We had left early and gotten a ticket back to America. It was now late afternoon and the sun was casting a beautiful sunset behind the hills. The scene was breathtaking.

I nodded and Harry got out of the car and helped me out as well. My legs were a little wobbly from the nerves I was experiencing. What if Harry was right and Dad didn’t care if I came back? But we had a good father daughter relationship right?

We snuck behind the bushes and peeked through the thorny vines, spotting my dad in the backyard. He was grilling hamburgers on the grill and laughing as if he didn’t have a care in the world. Surrounding him were his colleagues from the hospital. He was having a party and seemingly having fun. Without me.

I felt dumped. I couldn’t believe I was that easily discarded by my own dad. Harry was right and that meant I would have to give him a chance. I started to cry, hard. But I did my best to stifle my noises so no one would hear.

Harry wrapped his arms around me and led me back to the car slowly. “It’s okay,” he whispered soothingly, “you don’t need him. I’ll take care of you.”

And I believed him. With all of the love he had given me and much more, I knew that I would be set for life. The least I could do was return some of that love. That’s all Harry wanted anyway. A simple demand some might say, but I say otherwise.

“You can’t help who you fall in love with.”

The words of Harry echoed in my mind. Boy was he right.

I curled up in the passenger seat and decided not to pay Ava and Laney a visit. I figured that they would be exactly like Dad, only worse. Looking into Harry’s eyes, I smiled halfheartedly, trying to show my readiness to go back to London with him.

“Take me home, Harry.”