Chapter 3

Xenia Pov

"How you feeling now?" He asked as I came out of the bathroom wearing a pair of jeans and a shirt. I told him to bring them to me from the café where I always keep extra pair of clothes in case of emergencies. And this qualifies as an emergency.

"I've been better" I sat slowly on the chair facing him while he was perched on the bed.

"Can I ask you a question?" He looked straight into my eyes making me involuntarily shiver.

"Sure" I croaked out.

"Why were you alone in the first place?" His eyebrows furrowed in concentration.

"Ha.. that's easy because my traitor friends all wanted to go into town to have some fun while I was stuck there with all the work that we should have been doing. But truth be told they deserved it after all that we went through..." and that was my cue that I had said more than I intended to.

Dammit Xenia!

After a few moments of silence he broke it with a very dreadful question.

"Which pack do you belong to?"

Shit...

"Uh..hh ahem. Well... you see... uhh" I cleared my throat again

He just kept looking at me waiting for my answer.

"Yes?" He pushed for an answer.

"Well you see it's complicated" I took in a deep breath.

"I like complicated" he urged me further

"I don't belong to one?" It almost came out as a question to which his eyebrows shot up to his hairline.

"Say that again, coz I'm sure I heard you wrong" He asked not believing what I said.

"Well it's true we don't belong to a pack" I said in a small voice and not making any eye contact.

"We? As in there are more than you? As in there are more shewolves out there roaming around unprotected by a pack or an Alpha?" He spat out furiously. I could see he was barely controlling his wolf but c'mon why the fuck is he so mad.

"Well kinda yes and kinda no" I tried to buy myself some time but it was clearly not working.

"Elaborate" one word slipped through his lips.

"Well yes we are a group of shewolves who don't have the luxury of a pack because not everyone is that lucky mister and no because we don't need any pack to protect us we protect each other" I finished haughtily. By now my anger had also started to rise which was not a good thing. I had to take things calmly because one word from him to someone in the right position and we were all doomed.

"Oh really" he chuckled darkly

"Is that why you were lying half dead in your café? And let's not even get into all the what if's of some rouge wolves finding you girls alone" he took in a deep breath "let's not get into that, but do tell me have you thought about what will happen to you shewolves when the council gets a whiff of this? You do know that this is a capital crime with a capital punishment?

He was waiting for my answer but all blood had evaporated from my body. I was so scared now. We were really doomed.

"A-are y-you threatening to rat me out to the council" I accused him weakly. His eyes gleamed dangerously as he came near me.

"I don't rat people out" he spat.

"But at the same time I don't allow chaos and danger to fall on our wolf territories".