Chapter 2

It took Seong Im the entire night to clear up the mess in her house. By the time she was done with all the cleaning, she only had an hour left before the start of her shift. She took a quick shower and grabbed a piece of bread from the kitchen table and hurriedly left her house.

Unknown to her, Hee Gun was already observing her from afar. The minute she left her house, he secretly followed behind her, keeping a certain distance away. He watched her as she entered the cafe and put on the apron.

He looked at the cafe signboard and took out his phone from his back pocket.

"Hyung-nim, I had found out where she is working at." he reported back to the boss.

"Where?"

"At Geno Café as a waitress." Hee Gun replied.

"Arasseo. Continue to observe her."

"Ne, algesumnida hyung-nim." After the phone call, he continued to observe her for a few minutes before leaving the place.

Customers, mainly office workers,were streaming in and out the entire morning. It wasn't something unusual since the café was famous for its signature caramel macchiato and it was located near quite a few office buildings.

As the crowd gradually reduces, Seong Im cleared the empty cups on the tables and took the rag that was hanging by the apron pocket and wiped the coffee stain on the tables. She took a short break at the pantry, resting her head on the table to give herself some shuteye. The door suddenly swung opened. She sat upright in an instant, thinking that it was her boss but heaved a sign of relief soon after realizing that it was just one of her colleague.

"Relax. The boss won't be coming down today." her colleague informed her. He offered her a canned coffee but Seong Im rejected it.

"Kwang Soo, why are you even drinking canned coffee when you can just brew some fresh coffee for yourself?" She looked at him with a bewildered face.

He looked at the canned coffee in his hand and gave it a good shake before popping it open. "Cause canned coffee taste better..?" She shook her head, unable to understand his logic.

"You looked like a zombie today." He continued, while gulping down the ice cold coffee. It was pretty obvious that she didn't had a good sleep, or even no sleep at all, with the dark eye circles under her eyes.

"Something happened." She replied.

"Something to do with your dad?"

"mmm.." She mumbled in response.

"Debts again?" he questioned further.

Seong Im silently nod her head. It was not surprising that Kwang Soo was able to guess it. They met each other in university a few years back. Seong Im was his senior in the course that he was majoring in and whenever he encountered problems, she would always be there for him. One day, she suddenly drop out of school, citing that she was no longer interested in the course as an excuse. Kwang Soo tailed her and found out the real reason after witnessing her being harassed by the debt collectors.

"Noona, maybe you should just report this to the police. They can help you."

Seong Im shook her head and sighed, "kwang soo-yah, it won't be of any use. This is not the first time anyway. Thanks for your concern." She stood up and took the canned coffee from his hand.

Kwang Soo watched on as she drank the remaining amount and threw the empty can into the dustbin. "I thought you said you didn't want it." He stared at the empty can in the dustbin and asked.

"I'll buy you a dozen of it next time." She adjusted her apron and walked out to the counter.