Chapter 14

A month had passed since I was involved in the deal. Once every week, I was forced to have sex with the boss and each time, he would deduct between a thousand or two thousand from my debt. With $20,000 debt remaining, I wondered how long more I had to continue doing this.

Tonight was no different. I was told to wear a black low back halter dress before arriving at the cabin. Hee Gun was standing at the top of the second storey stairs. Without stopping to greet him, I continued to walk past him and entered the room. We were like total strangers. Wait, were we even friends in the first place?

Suk Jin was sitting at his usual spot, in his leather single couch, swirling a half-filled wine glass in his hand. "I thought you wouldn't be coming today," he said as he tilted the wine glass at an angle and stared at me.

"Why wouldn't I be here?" I asked, feeling strange that for once he didn't want my accompany.

"I thought you would be busy preparing a funeral." he took a sip and replied.

Funeral? Who's funeral is he talking about? I was about to ask him further when my phone rang. I took a look at the caller ID and 'aunt' appeared on the screen.

"Hello," I answered. I wasn't expecting the next thing that she was about to say.

"Something happened to your dad. The police called. They want us to identify his body." my aunt broke the news, sounding rather calm.

I wasn't able to register what she said. It was like a bomb that dropped out of nowhere. The last time I saw him was two months ago.

"Seong Im, are you still there?" her voice brought me back to reality.

"Ye..yes." I stammered.

"I'll meet you at the entrance of 'S' hospital in an hour." my aunt informed and hung up.

Even though I hated him for the many things that he did, he is still my father afterall. I looked at Suk Jin as he filled his glass with more wine.

"How.. How did-"

"How did I know about this before you do?" he interrupted and continued the sentence.

I nodded. He placed his wine glass on the table and walked towards me. "My men found him at the alley behind the gambling den, slumped on the ground with bruises on his face. They recognized him immediately since he was one of our 'regular customer'."

"Don't say that I'm being inhumane to you. You don't have to be here for the next three nights." he continued.

"Just one night will do." I rejected his offer since being away for three nights would meant the loss of three chances to deduct the debt.

He looked at me skeptically. If I could read his mind, he would probably be thinking if I'm sure about it. "It's your choice." he shrugged his shoulders and went back to his couch.

"You can ask one of my men to send you to the place that you're going to."

"Thank you," I bowed. It's weird to see him being so kind. I shook off the thought and left the room. Hee Gun was standing by the car with his back facing the cabin. It seems like his boss had informed him.

I tried to pretend that I didn't see him and walked off but I guess he knew I was there. "Seong Im," his voice came from behind and I stopped in my track. That was the first time I heard him calling my name and he sounded slightly hesitant.

"Are you going to just ignore me for the rest of your life?"

Maybe, maybe not, I don't know. I couldn't answer or rather, I don't want to answer. Without giving him a reply, I continued to walk on. Seconds later, he grabbed my hand and pulled me. "I'll send you to whichever place that you're going to." he spoke while dragging me to the car.

I wanted him to let go. He wouldn't budge no matter how many times I hit him on the arm with my free hand. I planted my feet firmly on the ground and he probably knew that I was trying to resist with all my strength. He stopped dragging and the moment he turned around, I slapped him across his left cheek. I must have had slapped him really hard. His head turned towards the right side, and he pressed his palm against his cheek.

Without another word, I glared at him and walked towards the main road. "Can't you give me a chance?" Hee Gun yelled from behind me. I could feel his eyes following me but I just kept walking.

He is just a debt collector, I reminded myself.