Chapter 8:

Staring at the mansion behind the black metal gate, she grabbed the gate grills and leaned her head against the gate, peering through the gaps. "Seong Im! It's your last resort! You have to try no matter what!" she mumbled to herself. Plucking up the courage, she pressed the button on the intercom.

"Who is this?" a woman was heard at the other end.

"Aunt! This is Seong Im! Can you open the gate? I need to talk to you for a moment." Seong Im pleaded.

"Alright. Wait."

The gate slowly swing opened and she dashed in immediately. She bowed and greeted her politely but her aunt didn't seem pleased at all.

"So what brought you here?" They sat down on the grey wicker chair at the front porch. Her aunt poured the chamomile tea into the tea cups and pushed one towards Seong Im.

"Aunt, I.. I.." Seong Im's eyes darted around. She drank the tea in one shot to calm herself but it was of no use.

"Stop stammering and get straight to the point." her aunt demanded.

She swallowed her saliva and took a deep breath. "This might sound bizarre but can you lend me $25,000?" she finished her sentence in a flash and bit her lower lips. Her head was bowed down. She did not dare to look into her eyes.

"If I did not mistaken, your dad created trouble again. Am I right? She replied, sounding rather calm.

Seong Im nodded her head in response.

"Since it's your dad, I'm sorry but I won't lend you the money. Please leave." her aunt stood up and pointed towards the gate.

Seong Im lifted her head and looked at her. She was at wit's end. There wasn't anyone who can help her other than her aunt. "Aunt, please! I promise that I will return you the money!" she swallowed her pride and kneel down in front of her. Her aunt looked down at her and sighed. Her stern expression softened and she looked at her with pity.

"Seong Im, I've given your dad many chances. Each time he came, it would be because he didn't have the money to pay the debts. Everytime I lent him the money, he would promise that he wouldn't gamble again. But look, It happened again." she explained.

"But he's your brother. Shouldn't you-"

"Shouldn't I save him?" her aunt continued the sentence. "Everyone have their own limits. I saved him countless times. But he wouldn't change. You can say that I'm being selfish but still, I won't lend you the money."

Seong Im's hands that were clutching on to the bottom of her aunt's dress slipped off upon hearing what she said. She stared at the red tiled floor. Her eyes were watery.

"If you were the one in need of money, I will lend it to you. But if it's your dad then I'm sorry, I won't be able to do so. Now if you will, please leave or I will have to call the guards to drag you out."

"Securi-"

"I'll leave. You don't have to call the guards." her legs wobbled a little as she stood up. She wiped away the tears in her eyes with the back of her hand. "Thanks for your time." she uttered and bowed politely.

She walked through the metal gate with a heavy heart. She was upset but she couldn't blame her aunt for not lending the money. It was true that her dad continue to gamble despite being heavily ridden in debt. She understood how her aunt might had felt, having to constantly worry about his gambling habits.

She walked down the street back to her house. "Cheon Seong Im!" A voice shouted from behind but she was too mentally exhausted from thinking about ways to raise the money to even focus on what was going on in her surrounding. She continued to walk on, pushing the gate open with little strength and entered her house.

It was unusual for Hee Gun to witness Seong Im acting like this. She would have turned and give him a deadly glare when he called her, he thought. But she didn't. He followed closely behind her and watched her as she entered her house. Walking quietly with short strides, he pushed opened the gate, which she didn't lock, slowly and went closer to her house. He peeked through the tiny gap of the window blinds.

He observed her as she sat down beside the wooden TV console with her knees bent and her head buried in her arms. He could hear her whimpering softly before she started to burst into tears. He looked away and leaned his back against the wall beside the closed door, unable to watch her as she sobbed uncontrollably.