Chapter 22

Hee Gun leaned his head back as he sat down on the dusty concrete floor with his arms hanging over his bent knees. He closed his eyes for a brief moment.

"Is she alright?"
"We treated the wounds and bruises on her body and limbs as for her head injury, due to the damage inflicted she has loss part of her memory. I'm unable to give you an answer to when she will regain her memory. It could take months, years or in rare cases, she may not be able to regain those memories."

He opened his eyes and sighed. He stared at the grimed wall opposite him. There were a few cracks and paint peeling off the wall.

"3433, you have a visitor." the prison guard said. He unlocked the metal bar gate and pull it open. Hee Gun lightly pressed his hand against the stab wound and stood up. Though it had been already a few months, it still hurts slightly whenever he moves.

He was escorted to a private visiting room. The guard open the wooden door and told him to enter. Hee Gun thanked the guard before turning around. He lifted his head and was surprised to see who it was though his expression didn't show it.

Donned in blue overalls, he walked towards the chair and sat down. Silence hanged in the air.

"Aren't you going to greet me?" Jong Kook started off.

"Hyung." Hee Gun said and didn't continue after.

"I heard the police arrested you after finding out that you were part of an illegal moneylending organization. You-"

"Don't worry. I didn't mention anything about the people involved. Otherwise, you won't even be here visiting." Hee Gun cut in and said.

"Ah.. That's true." Jong Kook mumbled as he laughed at his own question.

"Are you here because hyung-nim wants the money? Tell him I'll give it to him once I'm out of here."

Jong Kook shook his head and looked at him. "I'm visiting as a friend, nothing to do with hyung-nim. I heard that because of your good conduct, you will be released earlier than planned. Why don't you come back? I can plead with boss."

Hee Gun rejected his suggestion without hesitation. He doesn't want to do anything against the law and it was Suk Jin who chose to kick him out. He doubt that he will be willing to accept him back. "I just want to live a peaceful life once I'm out." he explained to Jong Kook.

The door swung open and the guard entered. "Ten minutes is up." he shouted and walked over to Hee Gun to bring him back to his cell.

Hee Gun stood up and walked to the door with the guard following behind him. Before he left the room, he turned around to look at Jong Kook. He was standing up as well, staring at him with his hands tucked into his side pockets.

"I'll be out in another two months. The money.. I will meet you at Geno cafe and passed it to you." he said finished his piece and walked out of the room.

"Geno cafe.." Jong Kook stared at the table and mumbled before letting out a scoff. He shifted his eyes to the closed door and shook his head.

***

Two months later..

"3433, follow me." the guard open the door and said. He brought him to the counter to collect a fresh new set of civilian clothes before sending him to the toilet to change out of the prison clothes.

After eight months of wearing the blue overalls, it definitely felt refreshing to be wearing something different. He never felt that excited to be in t-shirt and shorts. They walked through another metal bar gate towards a room with a small window. A female prison attendant was inside.