Chapter Six: the open road

I met the group out in front of their van in the brisk morning.
"Hey, Brendon!" Dylan said running over to me and wrapping her arms around me. I didn't pull away but I didn't hug her back either. "We're leaving to Louisiana in about five minutes, your coming right?" She asked letting go of me.
"Yeah totally." I said pulling my sweatshirt tighter around me. It was freezing that morning and I didn't pack any of my big coats.
"Hey." I heard a soft voice say behind me. I turned and Ryan stood behind me. He wore a white linen button up with the sleeves rolled up and unbuttoned almost down to his belly button, jeans, and a flowered head scarf. "Are we ready to go." I noticed a small duffle bag on the floor next to him. I had forgotten we were picking him up and taking him with us.
"Yeah, like in five minutes. You're coming in the van right?" Dylan asked Ryan sitting down on the edge of the van.
"Well there's no other choice right?" Ryan asked putting on his sunglasses. He stood with his right foot over the left and his hand in his pocket.
"Brendon's driving himself, but if you think it's too crowded in the van you can ride with him... Or I can ride with him. But it's whatever you guys want." She said trying to make it seem she didn't care if she drove with me or not. But she did care, I could tell she liked me. She looked at me the way Sarah did. "So I'm guessing you want me to ride with Brendon, so there's more room for you." Dylan said stepping towards me.
"Actually, I think I'll ride with Brendon." Ryan said picking up his bag. "If that's okay," Dylan began to protest when he turned to me and interrupted her. "Brendon?"
"Yeah, that sounds great!" I said with more excitement then I had planned on. He smiled and bumped into me on purpose as he walked to my car. I turned to Dylan, her mouth was in a frown and her arms were crossed over her chest.
"Sorry." Was all I could think to say. I walked to my car and found Ryan leaning on it. He held a unlit cigarette between his lips and held his bag in his arms.
"Got a light?" Ryan asked. "I lost mine."
"I think I might have one in my glovebox." I unlocked the car and Ryan climbed into the passenger seat. He opened the glovebox and began to dig around in it. I climbed in beside him and watched his hands move quickly.
"Found it!" He said with joy. He tried a few times before a flame finally came, he lit his cigarette and took a long drag. "Want a hit." He said blowing out a puff of smoke. I had never smoked before, but in that moment I wanted to put what had been in his mouth in mine. I didn't think deep in that thought, I tried not to with my thoughts since I'd been on the road. I decided to live the thoughts and not worry about them. I took the cigarette out of his small fingers and put it between my lips. I took a long drag and blow out a heavy stream of smoke. Ryan smiled at me when I gave it back, I couldn't see his eyes but I bet they lit up. Malcolm climbed into the van and pulled out of the parking stop. I started my car up and followed the vans direction.
"So are you one of Malcolm's cult kids?" Ryan asked rolling down his window and letting the cold air in.
"No, I'm just hanging with them until," I stopped. I honestly didn't know when, or what was planning on doing after. I was lost and had no drive to do anything about it.
"Until what?" Ryan asked blowing smoke out the window. In my old life I would have made up some lie about some big plan I had, but I felt that I didn't need to do that any more.
"I don't know actually." I said smiling, Ryan smiled back at me.
"That's okay. I would be like you if it wasn't for my music." He put his feet up on the dash broad and started straight a head. "I mean I'm not famous or anything but I know what direction in going in. Or at least trying to go in." He seemed sad as he talked about his music. I wanted to ask why but I also didn't want to bother him. "You'll find something." He said looking at me and smiled again.
We'd been driving for about a hour and it had been silent expect for the radio that was playing quietly. The radio had began to go in and out because we were beginning to drive on the empty highways. Ryan reached over and shut the radio off. It was obvious that the buzzing was bothering him.
"How long is this drive." He asked not looking at me.
"About six hours, he'll probably get there around four." Ryan sighed.
"Can I sleep in the back?" Ryan asked taking off his sunglasses and rubbing his eyes.
"Yeah just throw my duffle bag up here. So do you need me to pull over?"
"Nah, I'll just climb over the seats." He unbuckled his seat belt and jump over almost kicking me in the face in the process. He threw the duffle up, actually hitting me this time. "Sorry." He said with a laugh. He laid down and closed his eyes. I remembered I had brought a blanket in my bag, so I pulled my it out and threw it back. Ryan yelled in surprise and I laughed.
"Sorry." I smirked.
"Fuck you." Ryan laughed and then went back to trying to sleep. "Thanks." He said opening his eyes again. I smiled, I was happy that he came with me. I was having more fun then I would have had with Dylan. I liked Ryan, I liked him a lot.