Chapter 18: God damn Gabe

I sat on a bed and looked at Ryan as he sat on the floor playing the guitar. He sang softly as the early morning light came in from the window and landed on his face. I was going through a phone book looking for realtors to call about houses in California.
"Ryan, this would be easier if we knew what city we were going to."
"Ok, hmm." Ryan fell silent for a second with thought. "Malibu." He went back to playing and singing. We were in California but just on the edge. We stopped at the hotel to rest and was planning on leaving later on in the day.
"Whose house are we staying at and where is it?" I asked shutting the phone book and lighting a cigarette.
"It's my friend Gabe. It's in Hollywood."
"How do you know him?"
"Um, he used to live in Los Vegas with me, um, we dated for a little while." Ryan said quietly.
"Oh,"
"He's actually the only other person I said I love you too." Ryan said.
"Oh, wow." I said feeling my chest hurt a little. "Why did you break up?"
"He. He actually dumped me, for another guy." Ryan said putting his guitar down. "But we're still friends." He turned toward me and smiled. It seemed like he thought that would make me feel better. But in reality it made me feel worse.

We pulled up to the huge mansion in the Hollywood hills. It was four stories and had three cars parked in front of it. We got out of the car and walked towards the towering house.
"He said he would leave a key under the mat." Ryan kneeled down and got the key. He unlocked the door and I followed him in. The house had tons of paintings covering the walls, most of the paintings were of naked men and women. The couches were white and so was most of the other furniture.
"Wow. This is crazy" I said under my breath, but Ryan heard abs turned and smiled.
"I know right."
"Hey!" I jumped and turned to see a tall skinny guy who looked a lot like me coming down the stairs.
"Gabe?" Ryan asked with a look of confusion. "What are you doing here?"
"My trip got cancelled but don't worry you guys can still stay." He said with a big toothy smile. "Hi, I'm Gabe." He said reaching his hand towards me.
"I'm Brendon." I said taking his hand and shaking it.
"Oh, right Ryan's new boy toy." He said with a laugh. "You know I used to be in your place." He said laughing even harder.
"I heard." I said trying to keep my anger under control.
"But that was before I made it big. I think he would have stayed if I was big before. Right Ry?" Gabe said putting an arm around Ryan and pulling Ryan close to him. Ryan's cheeks grew red and he looked at his feet.
"Wait. I thought you left Ryan?" I asked full of confusion.
"Oh no. This heart breaker?" Gabe laughed. "He left me for another guy right after I told him I loved him."
"You know I have to go to the bathroom." Ryan said and quickly walked away.
"Oh, wait I know that look! He just told he loved you didn't he?" Gabe laughed. "Oh, but don't worry, he won't ever leave you." He said sarcastically and throw his head back laughing. "I'm going out." He turned and then with that he left.

The next day we sat at the dinner table together eating quietly.
"So Ry what have you been up to?" Gabe asked.
"Same thing. Just playing music and driving around."
"Still playing huh? Would you at all be interested in opening for my band tomorrow night?" Gabe said smiling.
"Really?" Ryan said almost jumping out of his seat.
"Yeah, totally. You can play a couple songs."
"Oh my god, Brendon did you hear that?" Ryan said smiling and giggling.
"Yup I heard. More time with Gabe." I said angrily. I felt bad, I should have been filled with joy for the guy I loved but instead I was pissed. All day today Gabe had been flirting with Ryan, and Ryan hadn't made much of an effort in stopping him.
"So you can come early with me to the venue and Brendon you can meet us there later." Gabe said smiling.
"I can come early too, I don't have anything to do."
"No, you'll just get in the way." Gabe said.

Dinner ended and we made our way upstairs.
"Are you okay, B?" Ryan asked putting his hand on my arm.
"I'm fine." I said angrily turning towards him. Ryan flinched and pulled his hand away.
"Oh. Okay. Straight to bed then I'm guessing." Ryan said backing up a little.
"Yup." I took off my pants and shirt and climbed into bed quickly.
"Well, I think I might read for awhile."
"Whatever." I pulled the blankets tight around me.
"Are you sure you're okay?" Ryan asked against looking very concerned.
"I'm fine! God damn." I yelled and saw the pain in his eyes. I immediately regretted it, but it was too late to take it back. It was already out there. The tension building.